GEM Car 2001. How do you remove hard door.

I didn’t have success unscrewing bolts or pounding a nail from the bottom to see if the vertical bolt would come out. How do you remove the hard door on the old GEM cars? It may have rusted and seized up but I can’t find any video or post on how to put on or remove a hard door. Is it just a matter of pulling the large vertical bolt out and lifting off the door? It’s too hot during the summer for the doors.

The door pin has a hitch pin in it. remove that and take a punch. (The door pin has a dimple in it) where the punch can register. Hammer from the bottom UP. Thank god I have on had to do this on 1-2 cars.

Have some one lift the door up and down as you hammer the pin up and out. It’s possible the pin has a groove in it that’s stuck on the door hinge and that’s what could be hanging up.

Thanks for the instructions. I was pounding with a long nail and hammer but I didn’t want to knock the latch all out of wack in case that wasn’t the solution. I’ll have to buy a punch because the nail wasn’t sturdy enough. I notice that I have to unscrew the fender in order to get to the hole on the bottom of the hitch pin. Also I didn’t know what that black rubber piece at the bottom of the hitch pin was and whether it needed to be unscrewed or removed. I wish GEM had better manuals and instructions before they folder up.

What if you were to get a Clamp. Like a Wilton clamp with a Nut on it so you could “press” the Pin out?

Somthing like this?

I tried a vise-grip locking plier and a hammer and that didn’t budge the pin so I don’t know if this clamp would be better. Would it?

As I recall, I used WD-40 and propane torch. Get the pin turning with what ever tool gets the best bite. The heat and penetrating oil will get pin loose enough to drive it out.
It’s tough to get a puller on it.

I believe I pounded hard and finally came out with grease applied