Half shafts

2008 GEM Model: EL
I’m back volunteering at the Fl state park I was at last year. They have the power problem fixed that I posted last year. NOW-- the half shafts act like a bad universal joint. Are they universal joints? Can they be replaced? Or do you have to replace the half shafts themselves? Where can we buy the parts at a reasonable price? (Park has a limited budget!)
Thanks
DICK

There are two members here who may be able to help you out. Marlon or Daniel are great resources for all things Gem. :slight_smile:

Other than that you can search the web. There are a few vendors who have the newer shafts. Be prepared for the $150 -$200 range each. Depending on the price new, you may want to consider taking them to your local driveline repair shop.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think the problem is the u-joints on the shafts? i think that is what a driveline repair shop would replace. As you can tell, I’m not too familiar with GEM cars.

I watch this post to see if those 2 people respond.

Thanks again,
DICK

They are not universal joints. Instead, these are called constant velocity joints. 2004 and prior are different than 2005 and newer. At $125, NEV accessories has the best price for the 2004 and prior. Not difficult to install.

Daniel

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;14072]They are not universal joints. Instead, these are called constant velocity joints. 2004 and prior are different than 2005 and newer. At $125, NEV accessories has the best price for the 2004 and prior. Not difficult to install.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

The 2008 shafts seem to be a bit harder to find than the 2004 and down.

And yes, driveline repair shops will replace the CV joint on your existing shafts if you were to take them there.

Thanks, I’ll check one out tomorrow. Hopefully they are an authorized vendor for the state.

DICK

The boots are available, but hardly worth the messy job. A special tool, KD # 3191, is needed to squeeze the new clamps onto the new boot. I buy our shafts from NEV Accessories.

Daniel