Glove box hinge

Has anyone repaired/replaced the plastic hinge material making up the glove box hinge on a 2002 or later with center top dash glove box?

I was thinking of drilling out the rivets and putting a rubber sheet but it will be relatively floppy compared to the original flexing ridged plastic hinge.

Not a hinge, but at some point before I bought the truck, Dave had built this so the OG ANT BMS display could sit in there

1 Like

yikes, I just looked at the lid where the plastic ‘hinge’ is riveted and they freak’n riveted the hinge to a piece of plastic and then glued that plastic to the lid. Not so easy a repair now unless I want rivets showing on the outside of the door/lid. Buggers.

they freak’n riveted the hinge to a piece of plastic and then glued that plastic to the lid

Can you do the same sort of thing?

That’s probably what I would have to do once I milled out part of the existing part.

Instead of a hinge, I was thinking maybe a Z bracket would work. When the door was closed the “Z” would stick straight back and prevent the back of the door from lifting since it would be inside the dash. When unlocked and raised, the “Z” part would lower but only when the door was vertical could you actually remove the door. This way there are no flexing parts to break.

That is actually a slick idea.
Maybe put some foam weatherstrip on the underside to keep things from rattling around when closed.

1 Like

I accidentally tore the glove box door off the hinge on my 2013 and considered similar fixes before realizing I could simply buy a new door with the hinge attached for $30. I drilled out the rivets and attached the new hinge/door assembly with small machine screws. Good as new. If it’s the same part for a 2002 then the part number is 5439622.

The 2002 glovebox door is curved as in this photo.
2002dash

Looks similar but the way you described your door and hinge it sounds a bit different. It might still work even if it’s an updated design. There are enough folks on here that someone probably has a new and old dash to compare and confirm for you.

Here is mine. The door and hinge are one piece of plastic. The texture and color of my dash looks different because it is painted with bed liner.

1 Like

similar but different. I’ll remove mine tomorrow and post a pic. The way the hinge is connected to the door part is different.

I used these I found on Amazon. It’s only been 6 months, but it is working fine now.

1 Like