GEM wiper motor

After 13 years of use, one of our 2002 GEM wiper motors has failed. Since this is the first time, I have never put much research into a replacement. The dealer quoted a whopping $440 for part number 2634485! The wiper motor for a Porsche 911 cost much less at $108. So, the search was on. By carefully analyzing photographs and drawings, I discovered the GEM wiper motor is actually made for use on boats. West Marine part number 281964 looks identical. I will find out for sure in a few days when it arrives.

Daniel

Great spot Daniel - I wonder what other money saving alternative replacement spare parts are out there?

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/golf-carts-neighborhood-vehicles-low-speed-vehicles/2626-lists-alternative-superseded-parts.html

Been slowly working on this list for a decade now. Several other members have also contributed here. Not only does the list save us all a lot of money; it also saves us time as availability of after the market parts is faster than the dealers. West Marine had the motor in stock. I should be able to install it in the morning and post the results

Daniel

The wiper motor fits and works. It is made by Marinco as part number 34000. Installation requires no modification to the vehicle, but the wiper arm is different. Use Marinco part number 33010A. So, the motor cost $139 and the arm was $31. $170 is a whole lot less than the $440 at the dealer. It is interesting just how many GEM parts are actually Marinco parts used on boats.

Daniel