GEM Trailer

Not sure this is post worthy but maybe someone will find this helpful or have additional thoughts on this topic.

With my GEM, I need the ability to transfer it between two properties. Not excited about always renting a trailer nor was I excited about purchasing, licensing, and storing another trailer. (I have already have a travel trailer, a utility trailer, and a boat trailer!)

I decided to make it such that my small boat and its bunks can be removed from the trailer. Then bolt on a couple planks. I use a couple ramps that can be stored on the trailer, under the GEM. I attached a couple wheel chocks to the planks as a stop on the planks. I have the choice of driving the GEM on the trailer or winching it on the trailer. I’m probably going to go with bigger tires on the trailer too.

What do others do to transfer their GEM beyond the GEM range?

RWD

Hi! I have a 6x10 trailer. I drive my e2 up to 2 metal plates on the front deck that have a strap that goes around each front tire and then tightens down. I have a d-ring attached to the rear middle of the bed. I attach a ratcheted strap from the ring to the tie down spot on rear frame. I take the e2 camping so my limited mobility wife can get around the campground with me. I strap her walker to the stake back on my e2. I pull the trailer
behind my older motorhome. The trailer is used by everyone I know to “move” with the stipulation that I don’t help anyone to move.

I’d remove that soft rear window to keep it from getting flapped around. When we took delivery of ours, the dealership bungie corded the soft doors together and looped it through the steering wheel to keep the doors from sucking off. Make sure that thing is tied down front and rear as mentioned above.

Is the trailer rated for the weight of the GEM? Would it stay on the trailer if you blew a tire?

Thanks Barry. I like the method you use to tie the GEM down to your trailer. Think I will try a similar method.

Rixgem, I’m glad you mentioned about the rear window. Good points too.

Old Houseboater, the trailer seems to support the GEM fine. I’ve only hauled it once on the trailer but the trailer did much better with the GEM than an empty load. I suppose I really don’t fully know how it would do with a tire blowing. I’m thinking I’ll put larger tires on the trailer but maybe I should also consider how to widen the trailer stance.

Thanks for the input.

RWD

I just put mine in the bed of the truck…

with the doors on bungees closed I did not have any issues with the rear window and I was doing 75 with a head wind across Idaho and Wastern Washington

[quote=IssaquahWA1979;28938]I just put mine in the bed of the truck…
[/quote]

I’d like to see photos of how you load/unload into the truck. Looks like a perfect way to transport my eS.

I have a set of 1500# each capacity 10’ aluminum ramps, I just pop the tailgate off as the cart is about 2" longer than the long bed and just drive it up. I do have a winch in the bed also that I pulled the non working E2 up with and it had no issues. The biggest thing is having a truck that is capable of hauling the 1500 pounds around safely.

Ram Tough!

I have a DropTail trailer. It is good for 2,100 pounds and is super easy to load. The trailer folds up so storage is not a problem. I have upgraded the tires one load range, just for added safety margin. So far, it has been really good, towing it around 8K miles behind my motor home.

The trailer can be found here:
Street Pro 2200 PowerSport Utility Trailer

I would be interested in the model of that trailer… I want to get something small for when I don’t need to load in the truck and then use it for towing behind the GEM when I need extra space. That looks like a neat little setup.

[quote=badfitter;28984]I have a DropTail trailer. It is good for 2,100 pounds and is super easy to load. The trailer folds up so storage is not a problem. I have upgraded the tires one load range, just for added safety margin. So far, it has been really good, towing it around 8K miles behind my motor home.

The trailer can be found here:
Street Pro 2200 PowerSport Utility Trailer[/quote]

Here is the link:

Street Pro 2200 PowerSport Utility Trailer

Ouch they are really proud of that thing aren’t they… Seems like a really nicely built unit though. I will see if I can find one around here

[quote=badfitter;28999]Here is the link:

Street Pro 2200 PowerSport Utility Trailer[/quote]

They are made like a race car suspension - tubular and triangulated. One person can easily more it around. When I get to my destination, I lower the drop-tail, drive off the GEM Car around to the side of the trailer, then unhook and pivot the trailer on to the hitch on the GEM Car. Quick and easy.

If I need the space, I’ll fold up the trailer or if it is really tight, I can stand the trailer on end. If you stand it up, it makes into a usable work table.

Yes, not cheap, but for me it gives me what I need and seems to be reasonably priced for the build quality.

yeah I found a video on their site about how it all works and that is definitely worth the money for what you get, I am however disappointed to find that there are few dealers in the Seattle area and the few that do exist are not stocking dealers.

[quote=badfitter;29003]They are made like a race car suspension - tubular and triangulated. One person can easily more it around. When I get to my destination, I lower the drop-tail, drive off the GEM Car around to the side of the trailer, then unhook and pivot the trailer on to the hitch on the GEM Car. Quick and easy.

If I need the space, I’ll fold up the trailer or if it is really tight, I can stand the trailer on end. If you stand it up, it makes into a usable work table.

Yes, not cheap, but for me it gives me what I need and seems to be reasonably priced for the build quality.[/quote]

I had ours shipped directly from an online supplier. It was delivered to a freight terminal on a pallet and they put it in the back of my pickup truck. I got it home and it took only minor assembly to have it functional. Alternatively, they could do home delivery for a little more.