Gem t5 controller code 57

My name is Marc i am a friend of grant west and he recommended joining this group i am an 18 year gem factory trained field service tech i have a customer with a code 57 on a t5 controller in a 2013 e4 looking for anyone with experience on this code

Yea Mark is a great Guy. I met him 12+years ago when he used to drive a sprinter van full of gem car parts all over California servicing Gem cars.
Mark is now retired & still helps past customers with gem Related issues. He reached out about the T5 and the error code and I encouraged him to join the fourm and see if someone might have a better idea.

I don’t have docs for a T5 but I can cheat/assume the code will be the same as a T4. (You know what they same about that word tho- )

57- Controller “motor current sensor” input is too low during running.
I ran into one of these just the other day.

• Check your POS cable on the controller (is it tight? Y/N?). Put a meter on it and see if V takes a dive when you press the pedal.

It could also be your Master Disconnect Switch, but then it starts getting into the other runtime power checks that it looks for that it might set a code for.
One step at a time.

1 Like

Thanks will have him check that with a meter i told him to check cabling

As it suggests 1v on the shunt, it might be one of the functions that can be seen with sentry sw in monitor mode.
On the other hand the 400+ amps when in drive mode makes no sense.

Also thinking it might be the Main Contactor(dirty/bad contacts). They don’t go bad very often, but there is a possibility.

Normally, I’d associate 57 with a motor/brush issue. Looking at the actual text if this code makes me start looking elsewhere first.

yes it can be the main contactor,on 2013 they have the small type
look if you have older big contactor to test it is much better

Hey I had an Update and conversation with Marc on this gem. It turns out that the Main contractor
Had a giant bug :ant: “mouse trapped” between the contact points. The contact would close but not all the way & the bug guts were causing the contactor to not make a complete connection :slight_smile: the bug was removed and the contact surfaces we cleaned and all is or was good! Thanks for your Help

2 Likes

OMG!!! - Pics Please!!! This is one for the archives!!

That was the first things I asked for! “Photos”

Had that happen on an electric forklift years ago. Found a giant moth splayed out in the drive contactor. Sady any photos were problably lost years and phones ago.