GEM specific wiki or knowledgebase

I come and go here a lot depending on the seasons and my situation in life. That being said, I know Inwo and Old Houseboater and KingHappy and GrantWest and many others do a lot of heavy lifting around here. It makes me sad to see the same things answered over and over and over again. Many things get lost in time or buried deep in threads. It’s not anybody’s fault, it just a product of excitement and knowledge. Sometimes searching by keyword just doesn’t work. Sometimes new people here are not terribly internet savvy and don’t know how to search.
I do hosting and “internet things” for a living. It seems like a wiki or some sort of knowledgebase would do wonders for some of our OG members’ sanity.
For example, KIngHappy posted about how he answers “how to make a gem faster” all the time. Ideally, his time could be better spent when he can write the article once and reference it as needed to people.
Inwo has many products, but you have to kinda dig around to learn about them or find how to buy them. Grant is a wealth of information and Rodney is like an encyclopedia that you never knew existed.

If I setup a wiki or a Knowledgebase type system, would people be willing to contribute? I don’t mind putting the time into making it, but I wanted to be sure it was utilized or even desired before I made the leap.

1 Like

I vote yes. This is a great idea

1 Like

Let’s just face reality, the search function on this site sucks. Sorry, but it’s crap. Some pages it hijacks the CTRL+F function…

No fault of the guys like Dave, Rodney, Mike, other Mike, Grant etc. Just a function of the software.

Yes, I’ll all for it. I’d even kick you down some cash or ship you a case of beer (et. al.) for your time to set it up, if powers at be approve it.

1 Like

Matt,
Being in IT is completely agree, the hard part will not be the technology it will be adoption.
We can build it and hope they come as it would be much more efficient. But unless it is used or data is imported I don’t know how effective it will be.

1 Like

Totally agree @MikeKC. That’s the point of this fishing post. I’ve setup so much stuff over the years that never got used, I thought I might try and toss the idea out first before going whole hog.

That would be great . Many new people have commented that they don’t have anything to contribute but frequently I disagree . They may do the same thing to a Gem but they do it a different way . I strongly encourage EVERYONE to post what they have done and how they do it . Having different sections that multiple people contribute to would allow someone who wants to do it , To see multiple variations . And gives me more things to copy . :upside_down_face: