Gem poll

To get a feel as to who we are and what we should concentrate on in the future we would like to know who is the main service provider for your GEM vehicle.

1. My dealer or professional service provider.

2. Myself, I provide most of my own service, upgrades, and repairs. I sometimes use the dealer when I get stuck.

3. Both, Routine service I do. I go to the dealer dealer/professional for most electrical/mechanical problems

Is there any interest in “Do it Yourself” posts from members who have had past successes? We have all benefited from the experience of ARandall, Daniel, Marlon and others. Some of us may have experienced a repair or project that we could illustrate and share with the members.

What say you?

I wouldn’t trust a Polaris dealer if my life depended on it. They don’t know what they are doing. They are untrained and are only in it for the buck. The only real repair shop is 75 miles away. So, i’m the repair guy. Most vehicles have their weak spots, so that is why this forum is important to me to pay attention to for the different repairs that are posted. Polaris is the evil empire.

I have no dealers close enough to me, and the one that is closest, I wouldn’t trust to work on a baby buggy! This forum is the best place to get real user information! I’m retired and after many years of drag racing/building motors,I don’t mind working on the little Gem myself! :slight_smile: A DIY section would be a great place to have a lot of tips from owners, on how to do repairs/modifications yourself. You see a lot of threads about Gem’s with undercarriage lights, stereo’s ,ect. but not one thread on how to connect the 12 volt power to them? They talk about all the accessories they have on them,but not ONE Word on how they hooked them up!

I used the local dealer the first couple of times things needed fixing but it quickly became apparent that “if it is to be, it’s up to me”!! I found this forum after that and depend on the group for advice/suggestions/etc. I’m happy to contribute what I can from my experiences.

Al

I have had no one service this GEM yet but have talked to dealers about some issues.

I bought a GEM last April and am new to this forum…I have a question. I travel north from Fla for 5 months during the summer. What is the best way to have GEL batteries taken care of while I am gone? A dealer told me to get a timer, set it for 10 hours a week to charge. What do you guys think is best strategy? Thx

The dealer told you right.

That would be very helpful to me .

my dealer says ‘we are not trained’… wow

I have a garage who does all my work… they look at the GEM as a car not a golf cart as another garage did… they have done me right… although they have messed up on a couple of my friends cars but have made it right… I don’t leave my car and maybe pay more because I help…

you all have seen the rate sign
$ for shop work
$$ if you watch
$$$ if you help

Bob

I have done all the repairs for my employer’s small fleet of GEM NEVs for over ten years. Occasionally, the shop were we buy parts has asked me for advice. The GEM factory, the after market, and even this forum have been too busy with accessories and not enough practical repair ideas. I still cannot purchase brake return springs for our GEMs, and they are getting rusty. Many other parts still involve an adventure to figure out what works.

Daniel

Daniel… have you tried NEVAccessories 480-753-0684 or Lee at 888-677-4961 both seem to have inventories of items

Bob

Hi Daniel. After purchasing my eL a couple of weeks ago, I put in new batteries at the sellers. Drove toward home, but no brakes. Stopped at my regular mechanic and he quickly repaired brakes and replaced a bad spring from an assortment he has at his shop. No exotic spring. Hope this helps. Jonathan

NEV accessories has a good selection of useful components such as wheel bearings and seals and other small parts, some of which are not sold by the dealers. I have asked about the springs and they plan to be selling them soon. I have tried digging through hundreds of return springs at NAPA and did not find a match. As many GEMs are now getting old, there will be more demand for such parts.

Daniel

I’m not sure what direction Polaris is taking GEM cars as we know them… am sure that they are changing parts over to the Polaris parts… why duplicate… from time to time I see people parting out cars… know that Innovation Motorsports in Mesa AZ bought a complete dealership… not sure what parts if any they got… Dustin McIntosh is the owner… 619-301-7232… might be worth dropping a dime on him… they build custom GEM cars… search them on youtube or their website if you haven’t seen their cars… I post a lot of them on FB under the group GEM Car Photos… love to have any of you join and post your cars as well

Bob

The poll seems to tell us that our GEM forum participants are enthusiasts and DIY type people.

Sadly we are not getting participation by the average owner. This is probably 98%+ of GEM ownership.

What can we do to interest the owner that only drives their machine and leaves maintenance and repairs to the dealer.

EZGO, Club Car and Yahama have very active participation in extra activities.

What say you?

The poll seems to tell us that our GEM forum participants are enthusiasts and DIY type people.

Sadly we are not getting participation by the average owner. This is probably 98%+ of GEM ownership.

What can we do to interest the owner that only drives their machine and leaves maintenance and repairs to the dealer.

EZGO, Club Car and Yahama have very active participation in extra activities.

What say you?

We are also missing the professional mechanics and fleet operators who can share ideas, advice, and parts sources. This information will save all of us money.

I do my own work…due to not being able to find anyone reliable in my area. I have been looking for some routine maintenance schedules if anyone knows of any I would appreciate the help. I live in Montgomery Alabama and Santa Rosa Beach Florida neither have a good GEM dealership…

Beachbum

hi Beach… Daniel can address your question best of all… the manual says monthly… check all batteries for water level… the cables at terminals for tightness… tires… parking brake… brake fluid… seat belts… headlights… brake and tail lights… turn signals… horn and wiper… end of maintenance schedule… if Daniel doesn’t answer quick… you might call Lee at gemcarpartsdirect (Beck Chrysler) 1-888-677-4961

Bob

What Bob said with a special emphasis on water levels if running w/ FLA batteries.

Al

Maintenance advice:
Change the trans axle oil every few years. It always drains out filthy dirty. Every year, oil the parking brake lever under the seat. Check for frozen parking brake cables. Also check the parking brake linkage inside each brake brake drum. Turn each wheel carefully to feel for worn wheel bearings. Shake the front end to check for loose steering and suspension linkage. In particular, check for play in the tie rod ends and all of the rubber frame bushings. Check CV boots and rack boots for tears and leakage. Shake CV axles to check for play (some inner play is normal). Check for leakage from the brake system. GEM wheel cylinders have seals made of low quality rubber. I have also found a leaking caliper seal. If the GEM is ten years or older, or has cloudy fluid, flush the brake fluid. Look for damaged or dry rotted brake hoses. Check for leakage of AC voltage to earth ground. This is important to prevent electric shock. Any charger that leaks current should be repaired or replaced.

Recalls and practical advice:
Have any Zivan charger upgraded. The label will say “micro upgraded.” Have any parking brake mechanism that is SAE replaced with the metric recall to prevent failure. Have any DC convertor that is not the sealed type replaced under recall to prevent fire. Consider purchasing a spare wheel as 12" tires are no longer stocked by typical garages.

Daniel