Gem creeps along

I am volunteering at a Fl state park. They sort of inherited a 2008 Gem Model EL. Gel batteries. It was working fine but now it just creeps along and sometimes it will go normally and then go back to creeping (as you are driving it). It is not throwing any codes and gauge indicates that batteries are charged. Can’t find any troubleshooting info online. Or anyplace to find a service manual.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
DICK

hi Dick… I think you have a battery in the pack that is not fully charging and therefore not having the full 72 volts needed to run the car… I’m not an expert on this… just a guess… chech each battery for a full charge or against each other as the car sits to see if they all are the same…

I don’t have any ideas for a manual… the yahoo group I belong to has up to 07… you might contact the manual sellers on eBay… there are sellers with the 1999-12 manuals for sale… one has 07-09 maybe the 07 in the yahoo group would work… links below

Bob

NEVs : Neighborhood Electric Vehicles (NEVs)

GEM 2006-2008 Electric Golf Car Service Repair Manual CD | eBay

[QUOTE=acker1;12045]I am volunteering at a Fl state park. They sort of inherited a 2008 Gem Model EL. Gel batteries. It was working fine but now it just creeps along and sometimes it will go normally and then go back to creeping (as you are driving it). It is not throwing any codes and gauge indicates that batteries are charged. Can’t find any troubleshooting info online. Or anyplace to find a service manual.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
DICK[/QUOTE]

Bob–Thanks for the reply. I’ll test the batts tomorrow. I have a hard time navigating any Yahoo groups. Don’t know why but…

I’ll pass the EBAY info on to the park manager and see if he will buy it.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks again,
DICK

2008 GEM eL Service Manual PDF Download Global Electric Motorcars

[QUOTE=acker1;12047]Bob–Thanks for the reply. I’ll test the batts tomorrow. I have a hard time navigating any Yahoo groups. Don’t know why but…

I’ll pass the EBAY info on to the park manager and see if he will buy it.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks again,
DICK[/QUOTE]

I checked the batts today and they all read between 13.05 --13.08. They have been off the charger for a few days and cart has been ran (attempted) a few times. I hooked the charger up and will check batts again tomorrow.

DICK

REHalle123-- I will pass that info to the park mgr also.

Thanks
DICK

Check voltage at each battery and then check for loose battery cables.

Daniel

I checked the batts this AM and voltage on all was 13.5 +/- .03. Cables are all tight. Could the problem be in the control box that sits on top? another paark came over and replaced it with one of their to see if theirs was bad. Then they reinstalled ours. Cart has not run right since then. Possible they pulled the old ‘switcheroo’? I would hope they wouldn’t stoop that low.

Thanks
DICK

On edit: I have the front wheels off the ground and when pushing the accelerator the best it will do is 4MPH.

The motor controller can be inspected and repaired if needed. Ride for Fun can do this. It is also possible that the controller was reinstalled improperly.

Daniel

I went to the ‘ride for fun’ site and will pass that info on also. I went thru the clip about removing the controller and they emphasized to make sure power was off before removing. I don’t think the guy from the other park did that. If he didn’t, could that have caused a problem with the controller?

Thanks
DICK

hi

if you not get any error code it can be the throttle,i had same problem some time ago

the car was very slow,and also stop some times

the only thing i do was change the throttle and it works perfect after that

If you buy a manual, you must get one for 2005 and newer as the older models are very different.

Daniel

Thanks guys. I’m leaving here tomorrow (live fulltime in a motorhome) and will be back here in Dec. I’ve passed all your info on to the park mgr.
I appreciate all your help.

DICK