Gem car MEV compliance

Several states are allowing an MEV classed electric vehicle to operate on roads rated to 35 & 45MPH. Most regs call for top speed to be 35MPH. Vehicle to have "“roll cage or crush proof body design”. Other requirements that are in addition to those set for the NEV class can be “fully enclosed”. The Gem Car does not appear to comply with the Roll cage or crush proof body requirement. If the Gem has been modified to reach 35MPH it would appear to violate the MEV requirement. Keep in mind the Gem Car was never designed to exceed the 25MPH nor to comply with any Federal requirements that exceed the NEV rules. If anyone cares to see reasons why increased speed, with attempts to run under the MEV class, can be dangerous just Google for “GEM CAR CRASH TEST” . There are excellent sites that show what happens to A GEM CAR in a 25mph and 35MPH staged crash for both frontal and side impacts. (this is scary). You might also want to research what modification of a Gem Car, to increase speed, does to increase your Legal Liability for injury to others, including passengers. Be legal, stay stock and stay alive.:car:

Crash tests on my Harley yield similar results. That’s precisely why I drive my GEM with the same attitude I ride my Harley. Even walking is potentially dangerous, running more so. But driving intelligently and being constantly aware of one’s surroundings can ameliorate the dangers somewhat.

If I were as safety-paranoid as you, I’d always wear a helmet and drive only Hummers.

[quote=Laslonimne;30717]Crash tests on my Harley yield similar results. That’s precisely why I drive my GEM with the same attitude I ride my Harley. Even walking is potentially dangerous, running more so. But driving intelligently and being constantly aware of one’s surroundings can ameliorate the dangers somewhat.

If I were as safety-paranoid as you, I’d always wear a helmet and drive only Hummers.[/quote]

You missed the point-The research was to reflect why the Gem does not qualify to be licensed in most states as a Medium Speed Vehicle as it doesn’t meet requirements. If you want to jack up the speed on your Gem and go unlicensed it’s your choice. Same with the Harley, it’s just whatever you need to prove yourself. I have already spent a lot of time in a Hummer (Hum-V) and always with a helmet. Of course also had a flak jacket on. It was safe until we took in a few rounds from some SOB on a roof top. Now that’s where “being constantly aware of one’s surroundings” is a must.
:thumb::thumb:

I saw the video on the 25mph crash test, it appears to pass at least on frontal impact but that’s just on a non moving object, a head on collison could be twice as bad. But that would be pretty scary at 25 let alone faster. A side collision, I don’t want to think about that.

No way it would pass MEV. It takes federal approval to get a car into production, can’t just throw a faster motor in it and make it something else. And motorcycles don’t have to pass crash tests, so not a good example. It’s classified as a LSV vehicle with 4 wheels, so crash test is relevent.

[quote=dcannow;30719]You missed the point-The research was to reflect why the Gem does not qualify to be licensed in most states as a Medium Speed Vehicle as it doesn’t meet requirements. If you want to jack up the speed on your Gem and go unlicensed it’s your choice. Same with the Harley, it’s just whatever you need to prove yourself. I have already spent a lot of time in a Hummer (Hum-V) and always with a helmet. Of course also had a flak jacket on. It was safe until we took in a few rounds from some SOB on a roof top. Now that’s where “being constantly aware of one’s surroundings” is a must.
:thumb::thumb:[/quote]

Are you a Democrat?

NOPE–JUST A RESPONSIBLE REPUBLICAN: :clap2:

In Tennessee there is no “roll cage or crush proof design” clause in the medium speed laws. Only difference between lsv and mev is the speed ratings.

TN is one of the states that allows registration of the Medium Speed NEV under the same Federal guidelines 49CFR 571.500 that merely sets forth the Safety requirements of the Low Speed NEV. The Medium Speed owner signs and files an affidavit pertaining to this compliance. The State of Washington sets forth the additional requirements that prompted this thread discussion. I am aware that other states have done this as well. I would mention that the TN law allows any County to restrict the use of the Medium Speed vehicle on any road in their jurisdiction so you might want to check your County rules as well.

The issue I am having is this. I took my gem with me in my toy hauler rv to a forest service campground. The forest service law enforcement officer told me they weren’t allowed on their lands no matter what the speed limit was. He then told me that MEVs were allowed. Thats totally crazy! The federal govt has never signed off on the use of MEVs. It is a state only issue. The govt has approved LSVs but I can only have an MEV on their land. Does that make sense to anybody? I think I’ll speed my gem up to between 30 and 35 and re-register it as a MEV and see what he says then

I agree with you that the Fed has no classification for an MEV in fact applications for MEV approval was expressly denied in approx. 2008 with the explanation that to exceed the LSV rules would be too dangerous and should meet the same requirements as automobiles. States have now set some of their own rules and even then the license departments don’t have a clue. I went to the third office prior to finding anyone that would even look at their own guidelines. I am very hesitant to modify my Gem to exceed the Fed LSV regs. I met with the local police chief to make sure the city gave approval of the LSV class. We can now run all over town on streets 35 and under provided we are licensed by the state. I foresee enforcement on the golf carts that are now being built “street legal”, meet LSV equipe. requirements with 20MPH min 25MPHmax. Our “golfing” community is ideal for LSV use, We are approx. 7,000 population. I think trying to get MEV classification would just muddy the water and call for abuse of the plan. I disagree with those who claim the Gem Car meets the “roll cage and crush proof body” required under our Washington, or any other state’s MEV class requirements.