Gem a.c. motor conversions 8kw motor

I knew I was avoiding this forum for a reason. Now I want to convert to A/C.

@diymatt
Yea, itā€™s the way to go now. We have six? I think in the wild and they are working great.
Some people will be posting soon on their experience. Tester pricing is about at itā€™s end so if you want in PM myself of @Inwo soon :slight_smile:
Just did a test run in mine yesterday and was able to cruise along at 50mph just like Mr. @grantwest

1 Like

Just some thoughts. I think we have not reached the limits of the AC motor conversion kits yet. The drive file that Dave & Mike includes with the kits has is a very mellow Profile. Example itā€™s very easy on its power consumption, it doesnā€™t let you waste energy at take off, it ramps up very slowly and for most people this is ideal. The only downside is if you need to rocket into traffic you have to have some skills. This downside can be programmed out of the profile Dave provides. Itā€™s just been working so good the way it is Iā€™m reluctant to touch anything. But I have had a time where I stoped on a steep hill and the car would not ramp up like it should. Again itā€™s a Driving Technique that can be worked around you just donā€™t come to a complete stop on a hill and itā€™s fine but in real life this hiccup should be programmed out of it

I think I have a way to fix this, I am waiting on a part to get back on the road but my initial testing show promise. As Grant stated, unless you are on a major hill the current program should work great. I have been running it for a month on rolling hills with no issues. But I donā€™t live in SanFranā€¦ :slight_smile:

We just put the zone program in my controller (had troys in it originally). Mike and I took it on a test run and we got to 63.7 MPH. The acceleration curve was not as quick as the other (troy) program but it was very smooth. Have not had to do a hill takeoff or quick takeoff yet. We put the regen at 60% and for my car it is as close to perfect as you can get. It slowed the car down nicely when you let off the pedal (even at 60mph). Going to do a rebuild on the pedal. Getting high ohms when I tested and acts like there is a dead spot in it. Will update with results when completed.

1 Like

It seem Mike is getting the bugs out. How bad is the shudder under heavy accel?
Mike reports that as a small issue. We are going to try max torque and power map tweaking. It seem different gears need individual tuning.

@Inwo here is some feedback on 8.9 gear box car. Troy program- from a start if you roll into the throttle to quickly you will get studder. If you are slow rolling and stomp into it 1/2 way you get studder. Going 25 mph and you roll it to the floor it pulls and accelerates great. You have to feather past the middle of the power curve. With the 8.9 gear box the best way I can describe it would be, when driving a cigarette boat and you hammer the throttles before the boat brakes over on plane the props will blow out. You do same takeoff and wait til you plane out and then drop the hammer on those twin 1075ā€™s itā€™s hold on time.

The zone with 8.9 gear box the takeoff from stop is slower and less torquey but it is nice and smooth. From a start u can step down on the peddle 3/4 way and not get studder. 15-20mph and you press peddle down to floor it pulls for a second or two then you get studder.

Here is what we did on our 63.7mph run. From a stop I accelerated somewhat gentle until 20-25 then pushed it down to the floor similar to what normal person would do and within a 1/4 of a mile we were up to 50-53mph. We hit 63.7mph just short of the 1/2 mile mark. On way back up street it was a very slight incline. I rolled into the peddle like a normal person and it accelerated and held 53mph nicely up hill.

What is the minimum rpm you would be happy with? Do you need to run over 50mph?
I have more powerful motors that are limited to 5k rpm. Pmac motors 1/2 the weight.
Iā€™ve been looking for 6:1 gears to test them. Troy had his running pretty well, but it overheats when run faster than specs.
The simplest fix is more reasonable gears.
We have access to a freelance Sevcon tech for $75/hr. To be honest he has not solved any of our problems. He is the one that built the ā€œtroyā€ file.
My Tomberlin Anvil is a similar gear/weight vehicle. It keeps getting put on the back burner leaving Mike to do the testing. Give me your speed to rpm ratio to compare. Iā€™m not sure of my Anvil gear ratio. With my tall tires, should be close.
I plan to get it out today, but Iā€™ve been thinking that for 6 months. :slight_smile:

The good news is that the 12:1 cars are working good and run 50mph.

I am more than happy with this setup. When it comes to the controllers and their programs itā€™s way over my head. I would have to agree with you Anything over 50mph is not needed. I was just giving feedback on the 8.9 gears because I think I am the only oneā€™s running the ac motor with those gears. I am in the process right now of getting the android display up and running. Once i do that I will have Mike go for a ride with me to watch the gauges to see if we notice any patterns with the amp draw or anything else of when the stutter starts to occur. Do you think 8.9 gears need so much torque to get going when you step hard in the throttle that causes the studded. Is it looking like 10/1 or 12/1 gears are the sweet spot for this setup.

If I knew I would fix it. :slight_smile:

Whatever it is, it can be tuned out. We just need to learn a little more.

Hi guys, running my EL truck on a mid tune with the studder thing, itā€™s really no problem. I would rather it be quick then then perfect!:sunglasses: but If a better tune happens, Iā€™m down!

Question for @diymatt

Iā€™m converting a '10 eL to the 8kw AC drive, I pulled the 12.44 transmission out and was about to drop in a 10.35, but @MikeKC just warned me about the stutter on launch that youā€™ve been seeing with the 10.35. Iā€™m curious what tire size youā€™re running.

18" rims and whatever rubber adds up to 24" total.
It is egregiously fast. :dizzy_face:

Thanks. My tires are only 21" tall. I wonder if itā€™s the 24"s that are bogging the motor on launchā€¦

Possibly. I need to put it back up on jackstands again. I canā€™t recall if it did it that way or not.

I got the '02 up to 42ish right after I put the booster pack in and at that speed, I was somewhat convinced that we were going to die. Of course the suspension is much improved on the newer ones, but still makes me question the safety at those kind of speeds.

I was looking for more range at the 25-35mph window and the occasional keep up with traffic on the single 45mph road we have.

Yup I avoided this long enough ā€¦ how do I get I on this

Just wondering if these kits made it to market and where they can be bought.
Bob

@MikeKC and myself do it. We have a half dozen or so left.
What year Gem?
What are your expectations?
Does car run now?
What batteries and condition?