GEM 2001 or 2002 E 825

I need help. My GEM will not charge. When I plug charger in I get a green/yellow light that changes to red and blinks along with a beeping sound. Is it my charger or hopefully something else? Hope someone out there can help.:thinking:[date=2024-02-18 timezone=“America/Phoenix”]

Try unplugging the round connector in the top of the Zivan charger and see if the charger kicks off ok.

I had my battery temp sensor go bad and the symptoms you mention were the result. The battery temp sensor is the little black wire just sitting on one of the front batteries. I think mine was ziptied to a battery cable but went down the side of the battery and got water in it. Mine ended up having the little capacitor on the sensor board go bad but I spent way too much time figuring that out.
If the charger works with the round plug disconnected then you’ll probably want to try a new sensor.
FYI, your display charge LED will not work when the round plug is removed. You can put a volt meter on one of your batteries and you’ll see ~14V on all batteries while it’s charging, hear the charger fan operating and after a few hours it’ll stop charging and your battery voltages should drop to 12.7-13.x volts.

1 Like

The temp sensor going bad is a common fail point in the Zivan charge system, But according to the official zivan manual that would be a yellow flash and beep tone.

This sounds like Error 1 - Battery out of range or not even switched ON.

1. The Main Battery Disconnect switch needs to be in the ON position when car needs to be charged.

2. Battery Pack has dropped below the lower threshold for it to be recognized by the charger. Check each battery with a meter looking for a low one (or two). A properly balance pack should all be within 0.1v of each other and at least 11.4v. Added up they should total up above 68v. If not, you need to hit each one with an external car charger one at a time to bring up the individual/overall pack V.

For further assistance, provide some additional details on your car/setup.

• How old and what type are these batteries?
  • When was the last time this car was running?
  • When was the last time your batteries were all serviced?

Thanks Doug. I’ve been out of town for awhile so I’m just getting back into figuring things out.
I tried everything suggested and got nothing.
So I bought all new batteries, they were almost 5 yrs old. It now runs but still have the alarm and red light if I plug in to charge. I did notice I get the alarm with or without main battery switch on. Just plugging it in. Don’t know if that should make a difference.
Is there some way I can check the charger to see if it’s bad? Thanks again for your help.

I’ve been out of town so just catching up. Thanks for the info Assy , I tried sending a video clip of the light flashing and the beeping but I guess thats not possible, or at least I can’t figure it out. Anyways, it flashes yellow/green for just a couple of seconds and changes to red and keeps flashing and beeping until I unplug it. I just put in new SUPER START Fleet and Heavy Duty lead acid batteries and it still does the same thing when I plug it in. So, maybe the starter??

The cart sat for several month without anyone running it but they did try and charge it by charging each battery with an outside battery charger. And when I got here to Az I tried and discovered this alarm was going off.

Do you have a meter?
And have time to poke some things with it?

Yes and no… I do have a small meter but don’t know how it works or how to read it. I do have a friend that might be able to show me. ???
Do you have any ideas on what I should be checking? I can use any and all help.