Gas spring replacement

You got it

Rodney

In a message dated 9/2/2017 11:50:17 PM US Eastern Standard Time, electricforum@discoursemail.com writes:

dougl
September 3Right, 30 lbs old one plus 40 lbs new one equals 70 lbs. LOL
You probably just used a long bolt instead of the stock one to get one strut on each side of the mounts.
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
In Reply ToOld_HouseboaterModerator
September 3I used the old one along side the new one. worked good. Rodney
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Wait a minute Rodney, where did you get a strut with the bolt connections on the end? Everything posted so far uses ball ends and requires adding ball ends which can only hold 1 strut.

The 90 lbs one came and guess what, the ball end caps unscrew and the through-bolt ends from the original unscrew and fit perfectly. BUT, 90 lbs is way too much force and my old one has been sitting unsprong worked for a couple of times when I put it back on. Meaning, I should have listened to @cwm and believed that 40 lbs would be enough.

So, no ball stud parts are needed, no drilling out the holes in the mounts to fit the ball studs. All we have to do is purchase any 17" x 40 lbs strut and unscrew the ends and swap with the original. Might as well use the silicone grease they put in those plastic ball sockets to lube the bolt when you put it all back together too.

This is what I ordered for $10.76 :
17 inch 40 lbs Gas Prop Lift Spring Rod Strut Heavy Duty Tool Box Lid Top RV
by Red Hound Auto
Link: http://a.co/5QGkmew

The 40 lbs replacement strut came in( ~$11 ) and all I had to do was unscrew the ends off this new strut and replace them with the ends off the original and install it.

Should be no muss no fuss for anyone else doing this. You just need a standard 17" 40 lbs strut.