Florida insurance

I finally got mine legal. Just over 400 a year by adding it to my safeco insurance policy. Getting the tags took less than 10 minutes. Now its too cold, even in Florida, to drive it.

What is the difference in a Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV) and Low Speed Vehicle (LSV) in the state Florida?

Iā€™m not sure about the nev but the low speed vehicle can only be operated on roads with a speed limit of 35 miles per hour or less they also must be registered, have tags and have auto insurance attached.

My husband just went to his third appointment to get plates for our GEM. My goodness what a mess. I still donā€™t know if I got the correct insurance. Just moved here and as always govt. employees are not helpful at all. My Safeco insurance policy was cheaper than $400. Maybe you could check back in with them.

We just went thru this also, to register and plate in order to drive outside our neighborhood gates it was about $800/year. Non auto insurance to insure it and occupancy was $100/year.

We donā€™t plan to drive outside our neighborhood but once or twice a year so we went with not registering it.

M@

I would not drive a Gem, golf cart , scooter or motor powered bike, etc on any state road without insurance. The liability of being uninsured or even under insured is way to high. One at fault accident and you can kiss your money goodbye. Happened to friend of mine crossing the street in his uninsured John Deere Gator, he caused an accident and was held liable for it.

1 Like

I know this post is too old but I think this might help.

Iā€™ve got quoted $102 per year for my 2016 gem (just liability mĆ­nimum insursnce required for Florida)
The insurance is American modern.

1 Like

Thatā€™s for a Gem that is Licensed on the street? I checked with Oldhouseboaters guy but his is only non registered golf carts.

Yup, I needed that insurance to Get the Plates.

Ive got the minimum required for Florida. I didnā€™t even ask for comprehensive thinking it was gonna be too much.
I can give you the name of the Insurance agent that just did mine Today so she has fresh information :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Thatā€™s who I have also. Iā€™m in NY and pay about $120 a year for full coverage and high limit liability for both my gem and side by side UTV.

Please, Iā€™m paying over 1,000/yr

Ask for Jackie from the Deerfield beach office.

Hope she can figure it out for you.

If you add more coverage let me know how much it is I might add it too

1 Like

I pay under $300 a year through Progressive 20/50. In Florida you need PIP and PDL to be able to legally drive on the roads and get a plate

1 Like

She came thru hard. 100/300/100k coverage, 500 deductible, pip. Wait for it, wait for itā€¦ $95/yr

3 Likes

Wow I just sent her an email. Thatā€™s an unbelievable deal. Thanks for sharing.

Yeaaaaa!! I just called her to add comprehensive

1 Like

Update: got my policy in and it said not to ā€œregistered for streetā€ Mine is. Called the company and had them change it. Raised premium $17. Which is nothing. He thinks the software defaults to non street. So check your policy.

2 Likes

Great good to know Iā€™ll check mine.

This is a good contact for Florida people, MUCH cheaper than I was paying with state farm. Much appreciated!

1 Like

To resurrect this. Called several insurance companies. All wanted to provide golf cart insurance, off-road only. Jackie at DTRT was able to get me the proper LSV insurance, required in Florida. Premiums have gone up. My policy: PIP, PDL, Collision ($100 deductible), Comprehensive ($100 deductible), Liability (Bodily, Property Damage, Passenger), Medical Payments, Uninsured Motorists, Pet Protection, Accessories, Personal effects. $159.00. Not too bad compared to other quoted I received.

1 Like