Flashing Wrench, Temp, Boxes around Drive Modes . Cart will not move. Help!

OK. So here’s where I’m at…

The motor controller case was not grounded (12V) to the frame and a ground coming from J1 was not going to charger ground (also 12V).

Also on step 6 in the troubleshooting guide it mentions a white wire from -72V ground on the PSDM to the contactor. Well I did not have a white wire between the two. As soon as I did that the contactor started energizing! This white wire is not identified in any wiring diagram from what I cant tell???

I have a Bl/Rd wire with a flat male connector that is part of the J1 harness that is not connected to anything. From what I can tell this is for cars w/ Hi/Lo beam switches. I also have a Yl/Rd & Br/Bl with a two wire connector from J1. Haven’t identified this yet? From what I can tell I have everything connected and grounded correctly.

I replaced the key switch with a simple push/pull switch for purposes of testing. I have cleaned/checked every single connection on the car. I also removed the cover from the motor controller to better access the pins for measurement. I do have the correct voltage on pin 9&15, also have 75v on 1,2,10,17,21.

I feel like there is a relay or something in the PSDM that is tripping on key switch ON. The contactor still comes on but none of the 12v accessory stuff works. And when I flip the main switch the wipers moves for a second or two???

The screen still flashes and of course no movement from the car. The 23 pin connector looks good. I took the whole connector apart. At this point I’m just continuing down the maze of wiring diagrams looking for anything that might be an issue.

Also saw something in service manual about a seat switch???

My background is mechanical engineering and I now teach a high school engineering class. We are working on the car in my advanced class because we also build and race a solar go-kart which is mostly golf cart parts, home solar panel parts, and a go-kart frame. Just thought I’d throw that out there for a little background info.

I’m having trouble following.
This is a Gem? What is the history? Have you seen it run.

I don’t have a 2012, but I’m not aware of a cover on contactor.

No ground should be connected to controller, charger, or contactor.
Only 12v circuits are grounded.
I believe you have a DCI charger with DC-DC converter built in. Constant 12v is available if charger blk and red are connected to battery.
Switched 12v is turned on by a “return” wire to charger from key circuit.
Coil of contactor is connected to B+. The other side is pulled to B- by controller if car is powered in correct sequence with no faults.

I’m new to the page and trying to decipher where pin 23 is. I have a 2010 E4 with the flashing wrench, turtle, and yellow boxes around all the drive modes along with the temp light. There are NO codes displayed on the dash. The cart drives in both forward and reverse, but seems to be in turf mode. I swapped the T4 from my 06, no change. I read the post about checking pins 23 and 24, but don’t know where they are. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hear that you are the GEM guru!

Best regards,

I have a 2005 gem car e2 The vehicle won’t move The original problem was Code 21 Throttle pedal I replaced with a new one That code went away and the dash display flashing the temperature, turtle
and wrench and Circles around DL,DH,and reverse the Still won’t move i sent the controller and it rebuilt Still the same Ohm out the wire harness from the controller Changed out the PSDM still the same problem can anyone help

Make sure all your connections at the motor are good/clean/tight. The triangle connector (speed sensor) for sure. I have see this a couple times when there are not a good connection.

I always thought this was a communication issue between the dash display and the PSDM.

When you sent the controller off for repair did they find anything? Did they send back a report with what they found?

Remove the 23pin main plug from the controller and look REAL close with a light at the pins in the plug. Make sure they are all pushed in to the same level.

When inserted make sure it goes all the way in and clicks.

If it still flashes remove the plastic around the pod and inspect the wiring in there. Make sure connections are all tight.

That is my understanding. P23 specifically. Sends data from controller to dash.