First Hybrid School Bus on the Way

The EPA says 24 million children in the US ride the school bus every day. That’s a lot of emissions (even not counting the erasers emitted from kid’s hands into the atmosphere of drivers’ heads). Commercial hybrid-drive developer Enova Systems and IC, the largest school bus manufacturer in North America have worked up a prototype hybrid school bus with a diesel-electric powertrain they say could yield a 40 percent increase in fuel economy, with a commensurate reduction in emissions. The bus in question, powered by Enova’s post-transmission 80 kW mild hybrid system, is undergoing testing at IC’s Fort Wayne, Indiana plant and will be delivered to a customer later this year. Still, the system doesn’t address the amount of time school buses are spent at idle, which may be the most serious emissions threat from big yellow, but it’s a start.
IC Corporation to develop first Hybrid school bus [Casanova Cars]

That’s certainly a step in the right direction, and should be pursued for the sake of the environment (and us).

A much more powerful step, however, would be the switch from gasoline powered automobiles to all-electric automobiles. Considering that in the United States there are millions of gas guzzling cars on the roads today that emit poisonous emissions by the tons - such a switch would be dramatic in the reduction of these emissions, even after subtracting out the use of power plants to charge the batteries.

Hybrids (those that have decent MPG numbers) are a good temporary step, but with the coming introduction of much improved battery technology, all-electrics are the answer (in my opinion).

[QUOTE=assdon;4945]
The EPA says 24 million children in the US ride the school bus every day. That’s a lot of emissions (even not counting the erasers emitted from kid’s hands into the atmosphere of drivers’ heads). Commercial hybrid-drive developer Enova Systems and IC, the largest school bus manufacturer in North America have worked up a prototype hybrid school bus with a diesel-electric powertrain they say could yield a 40 percent increase in fuel economy, with a commensurate reduction in emissions. The bus in question, powered by Enova’s post-transmission 80 kW mild hybrid system, is undergoing testing at IC’s Fort Wayne, Indiana plant and will be delivered to a customer later this year. Still, the system doesn’t address the amount of time school buses are spent at idle, which may be the most serious emissions threat from big yellow, but it’s a start.
IC Corporation to develop first Hybrid school bus [Casanova Cars][/QUOTE]

I’m wondering about the statement that they are the first hybrid school busses… Our local city school district were looking at hybrid busses prior to the beginning of this school year and decided to go with conventional diesels due to cost constraints. There was never any mention that the units they considered were not currently available, making me wonder if there is another company already producing a diesel-electric hybrid. I could be wrong, this was just my interpretation from what I read in the paper.

if this works then it would be better then the ordinary school bus hybrid will be much good

This is not only healthy for the children but also a environment friendly too, a double benefit bus welcomes a lot.

I hope this works, there 480,000 school buses on the road 5 days a week.

[QUOTE=SolarJoe;13031]I hope this works, there 480,000 school buses on the road 5 days a week.[/QUOTE]

This is bizarre - we have had hybrid singe and double-deckers (busses;)) in London’s public transport for a pretty long time now! I had a snoop around and some of them are definitely made by Alexander Dennis, ENVIRO range. The company definitely has plants and operates in Nort America.

So I do not think lack of technology or providers is the issue… Sure, I have no clue if they specifically manufacture school busses. But maybe a bit of social pressure/campaigning by parents (and teachers?) would help schools look further and make better decisions next time they top up or replace their vehicles?

There is this great site I subscribe to called change.org where “normal” people can start petition which are then circulated for support to the worldwide community. I am certain there are also others which you could use to create a positive stir. :slight_smile:

Karolina @ Car leasing made simple™

About time, they should be utilizing diesel hybrid technology for a lot of the larger vehicles as it is…

Heck when they switched over for trains it saved LOTS of money in fuel.

They already have Diesel-Hybrid school buses on the roads. Is this a new line improving efficiency?

I agree, the hybrid buses in London are fantastic. Not only are they more environmentally friendly but they are much more pleasant to travel on, the fact that they’re whisper quiet while you’re stuck in the rush hour traffic is brilliant.

I also love the fact that many of them offer free wifi so I can check my email.

It’s long overdue that America joined the hybrid bus revolution.

I am from Czech and here will run electric school busses.

I agree, the hybrid buses in London are fantastic

The fact thats buses seem to work fine should offer an incentive for motorists to look at electric vehicles but it is not happening yet. I know there are issues with journey capacity and the fact buses have a set route each day but surely the jump from electric buses to electric cars is not that great?