EV Forum Plans

Hi Guys,
I want to list out a few ideas I have and would like to implement. Please feel free to give me your feedback on what you think may or may not work. If you have any ideas you want to discuss then please feel free to add them. My overall aim is to grow traffic to the site which will allow us to do some cool things in the future. Here goes:

1. Site name change: I want to change the name of the site to ElectricForum.com

2. Minor design changes: Overall I like the colour scheme of the site. I would like to create some better designed buttons and more user friendly navigation menus.

3. User ranks: I want to create user ranks and badges based on activity on the site. We could have an icon (e.g. a battery) which a user would get one new one for every 100 posts they have contributed or X number of days they are a member here.

4. EV Blogs. I want to allow senior members of the site to have their own blogs hosted by us here.

5. Forum structure changes. I want to remove the regional forums as they dont seem to be working. We could re-introduce them when the site is busy enough. I also want to create sub forums for the major, mainstream hybrids and EVs.

On top of these changes I want to work on optimising the site for search engines so that we get more traffic. There is quite a lot of work to be done on that front and I reckon it will be around 3 months to complete all the required changes to the site.

Let me know what you think.

Regards
Bob

sounds good to all of those changes, a few things specifically i would do is in terms of the "regional"forums, i’d have it setup so its per continent as opposed to so specifically, only so that it helps with “regional” events.

I think Blogs could go a long way especially for someone like new dawn with his build and or someone else that is doing one like that as well. it allows simple access and if you can get it to be “registerable” so any updates sends an e-mail, i think that would be a major bennifit.

Good idea. This way I can preserve some of the posts that are already there and it wont look so bare. Also if they start getting more popular we can split them down into which ever location is getting busy.

Thanks
Bob

Hi, I thik that sounds good to me. Something I would like is to remove soft delete and link the removal of spam to banning the user and ip address so someone posting from the same ip address would be barred from the site and stop most repeat offenders. All they have to do right now is sighn up for a new user name and voila they can post the same spam they did before.
Bob

[quote=new dawn;6464]Hi, I thik that sounds good to me. Something I would like is to remove soft delete and link the removal of spam to banning the user and ip address so someone posting from the same ip address would be barred from the site and stop most repeat offenders. All they have to do right now is sighn up for a new user name and voila they can post the same spam they did before.
Bob[/quote]

Hi Bob,
Thanks. I think there is a way to do this with a new version of the forum software, which I will be upgrading to next week. I will look into the options and check that one.

I’m glad you both think the plans are a good start. I will be making some headway with them next week and will keep you posted.

Regards
Bob

[QUOTE=EvForum;6466]Hi Bob,
Thanks. I think there is a way to do this with a new version of the forum software, which I will be upgrading to next week. I will look into the options and check that one.

I’m glad you both think the plans are a good start. I will be making some headway with them next week and will keep you posted.

Regards
Bob[/QUOTE]

good deal, vbulliten allows the harder delete if you make us admins as opposed to super moderators as well, just a FYI.

I would like to suggest a theme color change. The yellow & green is wearing on me LOL! Not a big deal, just a suggestion. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=LuvMyTJ;12619]I would like to suggest a theme color change. The yellow & green is wearing on me LOL! Not a big deal, just a suggestion. :)[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with the Yellows. Its a bad combination but I am keen to keep some of the green elements…

I’ll get some mockups done by next week for your feedback. :slight_smile: