The Future of The Forum

Hi All,
I want to use this thread to discuss some ideas with all the mods and make some decisions on the way we should develop the forum for the future. There are two key areas I want to address:

1. Design
  2. Structure

I have had a designer work on some visuals which I will post shortly for your feedback. I am keen to get something fresh and new up soon. :slight_smile:

On the question of structure - i want to cut some of the sub forums that aren’t working - like the regional sections. Then I think we should decide on what core areas to cover like:

1. HEV
  2. EV - Plugins & Hybrids
  3. Conversions
  4. General Discussions

My preference would be to split these main sections into manufacturer and possibly models.

Those are my initial thoughts. Let me know what you all think.

Regards
Bob

So here are some initial designs for the site.

Firstly a new header and logo:

A new side menu system:

And some new buttons:

Let me know what you think.
Regards
Bob

great flashy look.

just to populate the individual threads, we can use the survey we did last year.

will think of other suggestions…

have a good one,

MARC

I like the ideas and the graphics look really good as well.

maybe condense some of the adds on the page or at least rearrange them as they take up a lot of room, you want more “workable space” than add space.

I looks cleaner & more modern. I like it.
I would also suggest including all of the popular site connects such as Twitter, Facebook, etc.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Glad you all like it.
I will try to reduce some of the on page adverts and will incorporate the FB, Twitter and other share buttons on the site.

Regards
Bob

the number of adverts isn’t bad but at least compact them into 1-2 areas instead of side bar, top, bottom, between posts kind of thing.

and now that i think about it maybe a “up and coming electric vehicle supporting technology section”? not related to cars but the tech? i dont know.

[QUOTE=FEUS;12731]and now that i think about it maybe a “up and coming electric vehicle supporting technology section”? not related to cars but the tech? i dont know.[/QUOTE]

I like that idea. Could be used for anything from batteries to smart phone apps…

[QUOTE=EvForum;12732]I like that idea. Could be used for anything from batteries to smart phone apps…[/QUOTE]

exactly and that way it’s seperate from people talking about other things more car specific related

[QUOTE=FEUS;12731]and now that i think about it maybe a “up and coming electric vehicle supporting technology section”? not related to cars but the tech? i dont know.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn’t this type of discussion fall into the general category (EV Discusion)?
Too many categories in a forum can give it a cluttered feel.
Maybe a sub category in the general section?

[QUOTE=LuvMyTJ;12734]Wouldn’t this type of discussion fall into the general category (EV Discusion)?
Too many categories in a forum can give it a cluttered feel.
Maybe a sub category in the general section?[/QUOTE]

that can work. I was just thinking that since it wont be necessarily auto related because there is going to be a lot of vehicles other than cars going to be going soon from planes to trains and boats. Just want to cover all of the bases.

since the vision would be more brand specific compared to region specific, then this would certainly help…

another suggestion would be culture, as societal changes are definitely in the offing with the new technologies…

have a good one all…

I really like how it’s looking, it’s really taking shape nicely.

[QUOTE=FEUS;12821]I really like how it’s looking, it’s really taking shape nicely.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I’m nearly done with the cosmetic changes then the focus will be on getting new members over here…which is always the hard part. :slight_smile:

I never noticed but I have almost 500 posts… wow

As far as getting new members goes, we just have to be the main forum in which people will register when looking to find out about electric cars or electric things in general. We’ll need to keep something in the “new posts” fairly regularly, and keep new forum topics fresh with news, and with that, we’ll have lots of people coming regularly.

If we can get someone like GEM, Tesla, or another car company on here too to answer questions or post information that should also boost it quite a bit.

Another thing too is to do youtube vids of car reviews or something, and have the link to the forum on there as well.

[QUOTE=FEUS;12823]I never noticed but I have almost 500 posts… wow

As far as getting new members goes, we just have to be the main forum in which people will register when looking to find out about electric cars or electric things in general. We’ll need to keep something in the “new posts” fairly regularly, and keep new forum topics fresh with news, and with that, we’ll have lots of people coming regularly.

If we can get someone like GEM, Tesla, or another car company on here too to answer questions or post information that should also boost it quite a bit.

Another thing too is to do youtube vids of car reviews or something, and have the link to the forum on there as well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Feus,
I will be looking into all of those points and doing some specific web based advertising on top of that.
Regards
Bob

Hi Guys,
Hope all is well. I wanted to give you all a quick update on this thread. Now the new design is well settled I want to concentrate on some of the other aspects to help growth of the site.

One area I am keen to expand on is some new sections split by manufacturers and model. Please let me know if you think there are any particular makes and models that we should cover - just want to make sure we get them all. In the meantime I will be doing a bit of research to figure this out. It will help grow the site - for example if we have a forum dedicated to the Nissan Leaf or GEM E4 - it should attract search traffic for people looking for terms like “Nissan Leaf Forum” or “Gem e4 owners”.

Regards
Bob

Hi All,
Just a quick update to let you know I have started to re-structure some of the sub forum sections. Please excuse me if things look a bit strange or different over the next day or so. I will post back when I am finished.
Regards
Bob