EV Bike Question

Hi fellow members,

I’ve started building my electric bicycle and I was wondering what kind of casing I should use to protect the parts.

you could do sheet metal, or some sort of ABS plastic maybe or something like that…

if you really want to it could look really nice and custom you could fiberglass your own

Fiberglass… I like that idea. I read in Bob Brant’s “Build your own electric vehicle” that using plexiglass was a bad idea for the batteries, does this apply to bicycles too?

[QUOTE=DeLorean_4;1332]Fiberglass… I like that idea. I read in Bob Brant’s “Build your own electric vehicle” that using plexiglass was a bad idea for the batteries, does this apply to bicycles too?[/QUOTE]

i think its fine as long as you have a protective layer inbetween…

How do I go about making a fibreglass containing unit? How easy or hard is it to make a case that isn’t closed permanently?

[QUOTE=DeLorean_4;1346]How do I go about making a fibreglass containing unit? How easy or hard is it to make a case that isn’t closed permanently?[/QUOTE]

as long as you dont make it all “flowy” but more practical shaped it shouldn’t be that hard… some people would frame the area your covering with wood ribs then stretch felt over that to make the shape then fiberglass the felt and there ya go, sand it down and paint it.

I completely forgot about doing that, what a good idea :smiley: