Error code 77 on 2002 gem car?

I searched the forums and google but couldn’t come up with an error code 77. I think it might be an excessive speed error of some sorts? The car shuts down at about 28-29 mph going down a hill. It has only happened twice so I am just curious. Would it be bad to reprogram the car to have a 35mph max, so when going down a hill it doesn’t almost knock me outa the car when hitting 28 down a hill when it slams the break on? Also i think i can get 25-26 on the flats if i reprogram… is that bad for the motor? I get mild breaking at 23ish mph and can’t get over 23-24 on flats because of it.

I have heard of such a code before and there a few more that are not listed in the factory manual. As far as the motor goes, they have proven reliable if not pushed too hard. However, Modifications such as taller tires or gearing, and controller reprogramming are known to overheat the motor and or controller. Look for a code 41 (controller overheated), or on 2005 and newer, look for the turtle to light up. I will look into code 77 when I get back from overseas. I would like to add any new codes to my list at the link below.

Daniel

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/neighborhood-electric-vehicles-hev/2486-complete-list-gem-error-codes.html

[QUOTE=Susp3nc3;9545]I searched the forums and google but couldn’t come up with an error code 77. I think it might be an excessive speed error of some sorts? The car shuts down at about 28-29 mph going down a hill. It has only happened twice so I am just curious. Would it be bad to reprogram the car to have a 35mph max, so when going down a hill it doesn’t almost knock me outa the car when hitting 28 down a hill when it slams the break on? Also i think i can get 25-26 on the flats if i reprogram… is that bad for the motor? I get mild breaking at 23ish mph and can’t get over 23-24 on flats because of it.[/QUOTE]

I did experience code 77 running down a steep hill with the stock motor–I was able to clear it every time by cycling the on/off (almost said ignition) switch. I’ve not seen it since changing to the R4F motor.

Is it possible you are running in “turf” mode–maybe an issue with the rocker switch? You should be able to hit 28-29 on the level before the governor interferes.

Bill (2002 825-4)

Been a while since someone asked about error code 77 on a gem car. I have a 2008 that is getting the 77 more frequently. I also can clear it by cycling the on/off. But it is now happening too often. I have a Ride 4 Fun motor and he also reprogrammed my controller to 31 mph. Anyone have any ideas???

Manual says it’s high voltage. Might have to change the regen settings if other settings are allowing high speed.
A 2v voltage spoof might be worth a try if it gets to be a problem. I don’t now if it works for regen but assume it might.

1 Like