Error Code 42

Well I have been wrestling with my Gem for several months now. It all started with a bad controller. I had it rebuilt and within days of installing the rebuilt unit she stopped running all together. I was not getting any error codes, but all signs indicated that the DeltaQ charger may have been the culprit. But after sending that out…there was nothing wrong with it.

I then looked at batteries, and found one of the six to be slightly lower than the others (12.5v instead of 12.7v) so I replaced it…that didn’t do it.

I did get an error code finally after having the batteries disconnected overnight. Code 42 armature voltage high electrical fault inspect motor controller. So it is bringing me back to the controller again. Has anyone experienced this before?

Unhook your motor leads and ohm out your motor. Field about 1.6 ohms Armature about.6 on the 200 ohm scale. Check all for shorts to case.

Hi Rodney. Im getting 1.2 across field. And .2 across armature. At 200ohms

Should be ok. you might want to pull the motor and check for stuck brushes.

You don’t have to pull the whole thing.

Remove the armature cables and take out the 2 or 4 bolts holding the motor together and pull out the assembly. Do you have a GE or RFF motor.

42 usually means a trip to the fixit shop for the controller.

Rodney

It is a 5hp GE motor

Steve

You have a 1 year warrenty on the T3 repair

Rodney

Rodney
I pulled the motor this morning and it looked factory new inside and out. No corrosion, and no carbon dust inside. I removed all terminal lugs and cleaned everything with wire brush. The shaft spun cleanly inside housing. I was not able to see the brushes without removing the top cover which I did not do in fear of not being able to line something up correctly after removal. So I reassembled the terminal lugs and reinstalled in car and still have the same code 42.

Stephen

Steve

PM me on what you want to do with The T3. At the end of July I’m going to be scarce for a couple of months

Rodney

Steve

We have a problem see PM

Rodney

Just as a follow up to the Error Code 42.
I had sent the rebuilt T3 back to Rodney for a checkup to eliminate that as a problem. It did check out OK. We then looked again at the GE motor as the culprit. I took the motor out and disassembled it. Pretty simple. Once I had the inner shaft and commutator on the bench I was able to test it for shorts between the commutator and shaft itself. If you are not sure how to do this there are tons of youtube videos on it. I did not have any shorts. So the next step was to clean the carbon off the commutator. I simply used some 400 grit sandpaper and spun the unit evenly till the surface was shiny. I checked the brushes and all other internal wiring for shorts and everything looked good. I took some compressed air and blew out the entire housing. Then I reassembled everything. Reinstalled it back in the car and Voila!! running great now. Thanks Again Rodney for your help!!