Error code 41?

Got an error code 41 tonight after driving the gem (2003 2 seat). Lost throttle for a bit. Then it came back, then kept running while error 41 flashed on the speedometer. If I stopped it would have no throttle for about 5-10 seconds, then come back. Was running lights, and just installed a 72 volt battery saver across the first and last cables 30 minutes prior, don’t know if it matters. The GEM has new 7.5 motor. I have not sent the speed controller to ride 4 Fun for reprogramming yet. Any one experienced this before? I can’t find anything online about this error code…

Error code 41 indicates an overheated motor controller. Check for dragging brakes, overloaded vehicle, or prolonged use on steep grades. In seven years of maintaining four GEMs, I haven’t seen this code before. I’m not familiar with a “battery saver.”

Daniel

Thanks GEM Mechanic. I just got word back from GEM on that as well. Do you, or anyone else, know where there is a comprehensive list of possible codes? I can only find some of the basics that are shown in the manual. Thanks again for the feedback!

This is the Battery Life Saver, it’s had very good feedback: Battery Life Saver Products

I am still getting the overheat issue Code 41. I have not done anything as of yet to fix it. I took the GEM out and ran it until the code cam up and brought it back and took a temp gun to it right away. I am seeing 135 degrees at the speed controller, but I AM seeing 190-200 at the actuator itself (the plunger thing on the right-inside of the firewall) is this normal? The speed controller doesn’t seem that bad at 130 but maybe it is. The battery cables are all cold to the touch. The GEM mechanic that originally came out when I bought it 6 months ago for a service and “once over”, said if I am having any power issues to check the cables for heat, it will give away rough batteries. All batteries are new, with about 5-6 cycles to 70-80% discharge each time. The 7.5 hp motor is only running 95 Degrees after 30 minutes driving at 18-25mph. I am sending it (Speed controller) to Ride 4 fun for an HD build. Just curious if the actuator could be suspect at such a High temperature, Or is that a normal running temp after upper end speeds. Thanks so much for your past responses…

After about 30,000 combined GEM miles, we have never had any trouble with the main contactors. I would suggest having the GE controller reprogrammed for this larger aftermarket motor.

Daniel

Sent it out today to R4F for rebuild and programming. Will need to look at things better when it comes back. Thanks for the reply…

HA! R4F! Well the 41 code is an overtemp of the controller but only because the motor gets hot and the next component in line is the controller. It doesnt mean the controller is defective unless of course the transistor is weak so to speak after being heated so many times. Then the controller would have to be replaced. Just a heads up, having R4F reprogram the controller does nothing for temperature control. it will however effect current supply to field and armature which will in turn make the vehicle speed excessively out of control or cause further error codes to the controller, rendering it useless. I would take that 7.5 motor out of that car and put it back to factory specs - Federal mandates say the car shouldnt go past 25mph anyway. www.nevservice.biz for replacement parts if needed, they are pretty good to deal with.

Ride for Fun sells the same Quick Charge brand battery chargers for $200 above the Quick Charge website price. Shop around before buying GEM accessories. I have found that RRF has outstanding technical support.

Daniel

On my used 2002 I had an Error 41 code about 6 months after i purchased it. I had a tech come out to service and they said I needed a new controller. The cost would have been almost what I paid for the car.

I had Ride-4-Fun rebuild and custom program for 1/3 the price. Shortly there after I upgraded to the 7.5HP motor, and they re-programmed the controller for free with the motor purhcase. No more error 41, and the car has been running sweet for the last two years.

I know NEV are not supposed to go faster than 25, however I can tell you my 35MPH GEM car is a lot safer on the road than a 25MPH GEM car. I;m not being tailgated and run off the road by cars. I can keep up with traffic on 30MPH roads, which makes it a pleasure to drive.

Bob’s Skidoo.

1 Like

[QUOTE=GEMmechanic;8367]After about 30,000 combined GEM miles, we have never had any trouble with the main contactors. I would suggest having the GE controller reprogrammed for this larger aftermarket motor.

Daniel[/QUOTE]

I think we have conversed before, but I loose track of this site. Anyway, I finally replaced all my batteries with 6 Trojan t1275’s… took out old, installed new, and now it won’t run… I have a constant buzzing sound when the brake is disengaged. I have spoken to R4F and GO electric, and they say it is the controller. Since I installed batteries, (after being less than 72v) it basically fried it??? My closest dealer is 180 miles away. I do not want to spend $555 to rebuild the controller, nor do I want to spend $200 in fuel to find out what is wrong with the thing. I had no issues other than battery life prior to installing new batteries. Any ideas? My cell is 660-216-6678 if you wanted to call and walk through stuff. I am not a mechanic by any means,but i have access to a very good one. Thanks

[QUOTE=jrejr2345;14693]i think we have conversed before, but i loose track of this site. anyway. i finally replaced all my batteries with 6 trojun t1275’s… took out old, installed new, and now it wont run… i have a constant buzzing sound when the brak is disenguaged. i have spoke to R4F and GO elctric, and they oth say its the controller… since i installed batteries, (after being less than 72v) it basibcally fried it. ??? my closest dealer is 180 miles away… i dont want to spend $555 to rebuild, but i dont want to spend $200 in fuel to find out thats the right thing… i had no issues otherthan battery life prior to installing new ones… any ideas… my cell is 660-216-6678 if you wanted to call and walk through stuff… i am not a mechanic by any means,but i have acess t oa very good one. thanks[/QUOTE]

Also looks like the error i have is -109… But this could be a bad LED. I spoke with a guy in FL, (referred by R4F) and he said maybe a short in steering column? I have not taken off the column yet. I just want to play golf :slight_smile:

My list of error codes is here:

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/neighborhood-vehicles/2486-complete-list-gem-error-codes.html

New codes are added as they are discovered. I am not aware of any codes over -77.

We have one GEM that has bad segments on the numeric display. This could cause confusion in reading codes.

Daniel

[QUOTE=jrejr2345;14693]i think we have conversed before, but i loose track of this site. anyway. i finally replaced all my batteries with 6 trojun t1275’s… took out old, installed new, and now it wont run… i have a constant buzzing sound when the brak is disenguaged. i have spoke to R4F and GO elctric, and they oth say its the controller… since i installed batteries, (after being less than 72v) it basibcally fried it. ??? my closest dealer is 180 miles away… i dont want to spend $555 to rebuild, but i dont want to spend $200 in fuel to find out thats the right thing… i had no issues otherthan battery life prior to installing new ones… any ideas… my cell is 660-216-6678 if you wanted to call and walk through stuff… i am not a mechanic by any means,but i have acess t oa very good one. thanks[/QUOTE]

any idea on this daniel?
thanks

Could there be a short in the steering column area? Constant buzz when brake is disengaged. Wire off?..i just want to golf.

You should hear a buzzed when the brake is disengaged. That is normal. Is is common for the plastic electrical connector to the steering column to melt from overheating. Your controller can be tested for a nominal cost. Is your GEM modified in any way? What do you see on the display when you turn on the key, select forward, and release the brake? You should see -04. Does the main contactor click when you release the brake? The charger must be unplugged for the GEM to be driven.

Daniel

[QUOTE=Alphaeditor;8338]Got an error code 41 tonight after driving the gem (2003 2 seat). Lost throttle for a bit. Then it came back, then kept running while error 41 flashed on the speedometer. If I stopped it would have no throttle for about 5-10 seconds, then come back. Was running lights, and just installed a 72 volt battery saver across the first and last cables 30 minutes prior, don’t know if it matters. The GEM has new 7.5 motor. I have not sent the speed controller to ride 4 Fun for reprogramming yet. Any one experienced this before? I can’t find anything online about this error code…[/QUOTE]

Hey alphaeditor: I know exactly what you are going thru. My super duper fixed up 2002 gem car with a marlon 9.6hp and everything top of the line is doing the same thing. This is my second gem car to do the same thing. I drive 10 minutes (no psycho driving) and code 41. I have had two gem cars in 6 months, do the same thing. The first car was exchanged for the second car, and same problem. I have had gem car mechanics look at it , but still no answer to why I still get it.

If you find the answer, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO, THANKS MANNY

When you see a -41 with a STOCK motor, there’s a problem. When you see it on a higher HP (7.5 or 9+) then it’s just the way it is. That GE controller was never designed to handle a high HP motor. Higher current = higher heat generation. You can’t drive a GEM at 35 MPH continuously on the high HP motor without getting controller overheats.

Your only solution is to either:

1. Drive 25 MPH or less all the time

2. Drive less than 25 and only use higher speeds for short bursts

3. Buy a higher-amp controller and get it programmed properly for your GEM with the high HP motor and higher speed.

I don’t understand what the mystery is, guys. The GEM was designed to meet federal standards for a LSV - 25 MPH top speed. All the components are matched to that requirement. You can’t replace just one component with a higher performance one and expect everything else to keep up with it. These things were designed and built to ‘just’ make it to 25 MPH for 10-15 minutes at a time.

As to your issue with the buzzing (or beeping) with the new batteries, I’ll bet you knocked a wire off the handbrake switch when you replaced the batteries. Check that all 3 wires are on and that the microswitch works properly (use a meter).