Electric Issue on 2002 GEM

I just bought a 2002 GEM Polaris NEV. We live in the hill country which I’m sure affects the batteries/power of the vehicle. When its fully charged at 100% it drops to 60% in about 1 mile, it then drops pretty quick. On two occasions we’ve almost been stuck trying to get back home. Tonight when we got home I put a volt meter on each battery (not unhooking each one) at they all showed over 12 volts. What steps should I take to pin point the problem? Is it battery? Is in motor? Is it a switch? Is it a relay?

This is my first electric vehicle which I’m loving. Please help me diagnose the problem.

Thanks
Thomas

How old are the batteries? What type and what brand. If it drops down to 60% in a mile their probably worn out.

A better check is to specific gravity readings a couple of hours after charging.

With the batteries run way down, accurately record the voltage of each one to the tenth of a volt. Repeat this for accuracy. One or more may be a few tenths lower than the others, which indicates a weak battery. A shorter than normal charging time also indicates weak batteries. Connect the volt meter across all of the batteries and then plug in the charger. You should see the voltage begin to rise. A 2002 GEM should have the Zivan NG1 charger. There was a programing update several years ago. The black plastic cover of the charger will say “micro-upgraded” if the update has been applied. This charger must also be set for charging different types of batteries. There is a small rotary selector switch on top of the charger which may be under a plastic plug. Read the letter displayed here. Post the letter you see and the type of batteries in the GEM so we can compare. Also, be sure the brakes are not dragging. The GEM should be easy to push with the key turned off and the brake released.

Daniel

[quote=GEMmechanic;21938]With the batteries run way down, accurately record the voltage of each one to the tenth of a volt. Repeat this for accuracy. One or more may be a few tenths lower than the others, which indicates a weak battery. A shorter than normal charging time also indicates weak batteries. Connect the volt meter across all of the batteries and then plug in the charger. You should see the voltage begin to rise. A 2002 GEM should have the Zivan NG1 charger. There was a programing update several years ago. The black plastic cover of the charger will say “micro-upgraded” if the update has been applied. This charger must also be set for charging different types of batteries. There is a small rotary selector switch on top of the charger which may be under a plastic plug. Read the letter displayed here. Post the letter you see and the type of batteries in the GEM so we can compare. Also, be sure the brakes are not dragging. The GEM should be easy to push with the key turned off and the brake released.

Daniel[/quote]
I will check this over the weekend and get back to you. Thanks

One or more may be a few tenths lower than the others, which indicates a weak battery