2002 Gem mileage

My 2002 Gem was getting only two miles per charge. I replaced 3 batteries (cost issue) but still get just over a mile per charge. All batteries show 12.7v approx. The vehicle does better directly after a charge. If it sits overnight does worse. The readings fluxate goes, for example, from 100% slowly to 94%, then right to 70%, then maybe to 40%, then maybe to zero and it starts buzzing. I can shut it off, restart and the buzzing stops for 500 ft or so. Don’t want to buy three more batteries if that will not help. Maybe wrong sensor signal. I also tried charging each battery individually, same problem, so may not be the charger. Any idea? I will buy the batteries if that is the issue

Old gem batteries are like beer. The best stuff comes in sixes… not threes.

12.7 is good… but that could just be a surface charge value…

Most likely causes are any individual reason or combination thereof:

1. Dragging brake shoes, this is not uncommon. Typically, it’s the rears, usually the parking brake cable / arm mechanism at the drums or sometimes the shoes bind inside the assembly. Block the front wheels, jack the back of the cart up, release the handbrake and spin the tires by hand… you’ll know instantly. There should be no resistance whatsoever.
  2. A bad cable or connection between batteries. Clean all the corrosion off, flex the ends around, make sure your cables aren’t missing a bunch of the internal copper strands. Replace as necessary. Remember, these battery cables could be 20 years old at this point.
  3. One of the batteries is a dud. Look up “brake stand test” by old_houseboater and do that or get a 150A load test meter and check each battery. You’ll only be able to check two batteries accurately before the resistor overheats in the meter, so chuck it in the freezer between tests or plan a day of it (a six-pack helps here)
  4. It’s an 02… Kill it. Kill it with fire.
1 Like

Thank you so much for your input. I did clean all connections. I will buy 3 batteries. I like this 2002. It onky needs to go 1 mile each way between farm and cabin. Two round trip would be sweet, so 4 plus miles per charge. A new one is too expensive more than an older EV car. Again thank you

check with @Inwo he might have some used and good batteries for sale. 4 miles per charge should be a piece of cake,

mix and match batteries is not recommended. Rather to use 6 used ones from the same car than 3 new and 3 used ones.

1 Like

Cool.

I didn’t ask what size & type batteries you bought, but if they are group 31 deep cycles 120Ah, you should be able to get 20 mile range or so on pavement.

Smaller batteries, obviously less range.

Word of advice, even if you only drive 2 miles or so, charge the batteries at the end of every day because partially depleted lead acid batteries will form sulfide in the plates which is an insulator and it will kill your battery eventually.

You also need to equalize the batteries periodically. This is a controlled overcharge condition. Helps keep them even and can knock some of the crap off the plates.

Gem chargers typically don’t have an equalization program option, so just run two charge cycles back to back. Battery manufacturers recommended it like once every 7-10 charge cycles

1 Like
  1. charge up your car as normal
  2. Check each battery V to see where they are. Write down those numbers.
  3. Drive your 1 mile passage
  4. Check/note each battery again.

Your weak batteries will show themselves.

Q: What batteries are these? Have you added water to them lately?

1. It’s an 02… Kill it. Kill it with fire.

Unless you have a convenient cliff or abandoned rock quarry nearby. Then, cliff and FIRE!

1 Like

I love ^^^^ this ^^^^ guy!

The Clarkson Maneuver!

A brilliant ̶h̶e̶r̶o̶’̶s̶ ̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶̶ death for an 02!

This is The Clarkson Maneuver:
(No Facebook login necessary. Safe for work)

Yep 3 older batteries completely dry. I added water. I will need to replace yhem chagrined that I did not check before posting.

1 Like

That’s awesome, now the mystery is solved.

(Puts M-72 LAWS rocket back in the closet… /pout)