Driving max time

Good afternoon,

It was really a pleasure to have known you! Wish you all the best.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello dears, I am seeking your help to reset the display of my Gem e4 2005 as the battery charge indicator shows full 8 green bars even when it’s totally ran out of charge. This causing me lots of hassles. I changed the display fuse but the problem remained unchanged. Many thanks and have a very lovely day guys

1 Like

Post #11 in this thread:

1 Like

Many factors will affect run times on these cars.

Battery condition (age, properly maintained, abused)
Not finishing a full charge cycle
Low tire pressures
Brakes dragging
Big/long hills

Are there any other warning lights or codes appearing on your dash display? Are you getting a Turtle or a Temp light?

Can you guess how many miles you are getting out of your batteries now?
Is this a normal path/route for you?
Has this changed since you bought the car?

2 Likes

Your inaccurate Battery Display may not be a simple adjustment/calibration fix.

It is possible that your batteries may not be up to the task. Either they are old and worn out, needing service(water type), One of the set is failing, or an improper size may have been installed by the previous owner.

Normally this will throw off a code or a Turtle light on your display. Is this what is happening to you?

Or is your car simply slowing down or stopping completely? ← This is a different problem.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your help and inputs. Yes, the batteries were not fully charged and now I can drive some 25 Miles with it. My problem now is the battery charge levels in the display which shows always full ( 8 green bars) even if the batteries are totally discharged. So, I want to know how to reset the disposal to get the actual battery reading. Many thanks again and have a lovely week

1 Like

Bye the way, the batteries are newly changed ( ( gel) and the reading was working fine since one month. Just the problem occurred 5 days ago. I changed the fuse display but didn’t help. Thanks again

1 Like

Many thanks indeed for your assistance. Yes, I discovered that the reading of the charge level is incorrect while the batteries were totally dead. Yes the turtle sign was there. I am monitoring the complete charge through the onboard charger until I get the fixed green light. Just the display charging level is highly disturbing me now. Many thanks and lovely weekend

1 Like

Just to be clear, you changed batteries and you could go 25 miles and the display was working properly and it was accurate. It was working properly for a month.

Then 5 days ago something changed.
Are you no longer able to travel 25 miles?
or
are you still going 25 miles but your display is no longer going down as you drive?

2 Likes

Did you change the charge algorithm? If the charger was set for flooded batteries and not changed to GEL, it will destroy them within a couple months ,

I am having similar issue with my 2006 E2 which I bought a few mouths ago. I would charge it for a few hours and went out to check the charge and my display went blank. I turned on the key and it read fully charged. I checked the voltage and it read 75v from the controller. The first time this happened I charge each battery with my battery charger set on the AGM mode at 30amp, but when I turn the key on the display was in the red showing low charge, but I knew they were fully charged. So I found on this sight how to reset the SOC.

“Turn the key on.
Push and release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch until it’s showing the
odometer.
While holding the switch down, turn the RIGHT signal on, then the LEFT
signal, then return the blinker to the center.
Release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch. You should be seeing data (P0105) on
the display now.
Turn the RIGHT signal on, then off repeatedly until the display reads:
SOC (State Of Charge).
Push and release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch. Now it’s remaining capacity in
percent.
You can now raise (or lower, for that matter) the SOC with the blinker
switch.
When you’re happy, Push and release the TRIP/ODOMETER switch. The display
reads: DONE.
Turn the key off.”

I did this to change my SOC to 99 after cart worked fine for a few charges and the same issue happened. Now when this happens I just go into my SOC and change it to 50 or 60 plug it in and it charges to 79v. I do know how to check my charger if it is working correctly or if is set to AGM batteries. I am worried I might be screwing things up. I use my cart to get to the golf course and play 18 and come back home a 12 mile trip it seems to burn 60% of the charge.

1 Like

@Balone - There is much going on here in your post. Let me see if I can sort it out.

a few hours and went out to check the charge and my display went blank.

Which display? If the dash, then this is normal on some cars. It should still have the little charge plug indicating that the car was jacked in.

If charger display went dark, then you might have an input power issue or a charger issue.

I checked the voltage and it read 75v from the controller

The controller is not the best place to be checking the battery state. There are certain conditions that will change the V you see at the controller. Use the controller connections when diagnosing other power issues, but best place to check the battery V of SOC is on the battery directly.

Be cautious as to when you actually use the SOC reset procedure. It is only meant for use when you know the actual condition of your pack. It is best to do the adjustment when your pack is fully charged and balanced.

It also is most accurate when the pack is newer and in good condition. If a pack is no longer at full capacity then the SOC will not be very accurate no matter how you set it.

I charge each battery with my battery charger set on the AGM mode at 30amp, but when I turn the key on the display was in the red showing low charge, but I knew they were fully charged.

When using an external charger to charge a pack(individual battery method), it does not go through the built in current sensor (shunt) so the SOC has no idea what the conditions of the battery is.
So Yes, you need to tell the SOC display that the batteries are full.

Now when this happens I just go into my SOC and change it to 50 or 60 plug it in and it charges to 79v.

AFIK- the SOC display setting has no control over your charger and how much your batteries get charged. What you may have observed in this case is the charger deciding to run your batteries up higher than normal in an attempt to equalize them.

I do know how to check my charger if it is working correctly or if is set to AGM batteries. I am worried I might be screwing things up.

I suspect that you left out a key modifier in this statement? It sounds like you DO NOT know how to check/change your charger profile to make sure it is correct for your battery type?

2 Likes

On the my 2006 input charge port, I have noticed that it is not a three prong grounded plug. Could that cause the problem?

not a three prong grounded plug

Can you be a bit more specific?
As in - One of the pins is missing?

If the ground pin broke off that is ok.
If one of the other (flat) pins is missing then you have a problem.

1 Like

The ground pin is not there and when the dash screen goes blank, there is no green cable showing.

1 Like

What is your CHARGER display showing?

1 Like

When the display goes out the charger lights go out also.

2 Likes

Then you need to look at your input cord.
Coming out of your charger there is a connector. Make sure this is fully pushed together.

This also happens to be a common electrical connector used in computers. See if you can scrounge up another cord for a test. Then plug this into another outlet and see if your charger remains active.
NOTE: since most computer cords will be thinner(18ga or even smaller) this is not a permanent solution. This cord will get warm if your cart has low batteries. This is only for test or find one that has thicker wires.

If your charger display still goes out then there is something wrong with your charger.

2 Likes

Thanks I will check.

Good afternoon, thank you very much for your message as I really need it.

Please be informed that I can’t drive the car more than 3 miles after 7/8 hours charge. Then, I will need to charge it again for 7/8 hours as explained in my previous message and again after the on board charger shows solid yellow and green lights, the cart can be driven for only 3 miles again. Pls also note that the display always shows full 8 green bars even when the cart stoped and during charging. Many thanks again for your help