2007 Gem e2 (limited range and display problem)

Questions:
What is a good range for an 2007 e2 (72volt) on a golf course?
Is the display problem possibly connected to the lack of range?

Brand new Gem owner. Purchased as a golf cart and I’m disappointed in its range. It shuts down at 8 miles and goes into a crawl so I limp it back in.
Brand new acid batteries. I’ll check cells in a couple days (I store the car at the course so I don’t have it on hand).
The display does not show the speed. The only two symbols I have witnessed working are the charging sign that is always yellow (never seen it change). And the battery meter.
The battery meter drops five of the 10 bars, then when it drops the sixth bar, it drops all the way down to one and goes into a slow crawl.
I have checked the fuses behind the door under the dash.
Any information is appreciated.

What batteries were in there before? Check the charger profile. Make sure it’s correct for the flooded lead acids that you installed. My first thought is that it’s set for a gel battery which won’t fully charge an FLA.

@JarJarJava
Thanks for your response. I’ve been slow in attaching the golf cart project.
I did find out that the charger profile is set to 32.
I haven’t been able to find much information on what that profile means. I also learned the charger in that cart has a limited number of profiles as GEM only wanted to support certain batteries in their vehicles.
I was unsuccessful in changing the profile with the tap method as the charging cable is integrated in the battery cable coming from the motor/charger.
Are you aware of how to change the profile? I would be interested in seeing if another algorithm works better.
Thanks again for your help.

What batteries did you put in? Looks like 32 is for Deka ev31 batteries (110Ah flooded).

There are a couple guys here can reprogram your charger, but I believe you have to pull it and send it to them.

I’m currently running 100ah flooded on the 32 algorithm. Would the 10ah possibly make that big of a difference in the performance of the cart? Maybe there is a draw on the system somewhere?
The cart goes into turtle mode after 6 miles now.
I’ve reached out to GEM but haven’t heard back.

What brand / model battery? 100 is on the smaller side.

Could also be a dragging brake caliper or shoe. That’ll silently murder your range. I can say that from firsthand experience. It doesn’t take much, I had a dragging caliper that you wouldn’t even notice on a normal automobile, take my range from 18-20 down to 5.

It is an empire battery.
I will most definitely check the brakes.
Thanks again for your time. It is appreciated.

I am pretty sure I am having this problem now with my e6. Just got it and went out for a test drive after new batteries and started to smell a burning. Pulled into the driveway and both breaks were smoking. Car sat prior for about a year so what did you do to help free it up? Wasn’t sure if I could use PB blaster or anything. Thanks

So many variables…

Front or rear brakes were binding?

Calipers moving freely on the fronts? Sliders not binding? Anti-Rattle clips (if required) in place so the pads don’t sit at an angle?

Shoes move free on the rear? Parking brake cable seized? Piston working properly?

When was the last time you flushed an bled the brake system? Air in the lines can lock your brakes up. So can water.

Long Island has humidity, rain and snow. Something could have rusted in place. Is everything moving freely?

These are just off the top of my head thoughts, you are going to have to do some disassembly and look around under there to get a better idea.

Appreciate the tips I’ll have to start looking into these just don’t know squat about breaks so off to youtube i go. Are calipers and breaks on these something that can be ordered at a local NAPA or Autozone or are they more specialty order?

Sadly, no. GEMs are worse than Checkers when it comes to finding parts.

Hopefully it doesn’t get that bad that you have to order a lot of parts.

Nevaccessories has a number of items. Otherwise it’s your Polaris dealer.

I think some people have found parts on rockauto too. But it’s a struggle.

unrelated question but if my 2013 gem has the key turned to the off position and the master switch is on should i see any lights on the LCD screen because thats whats happening also. Nothing seems to change when i turn the key to the on position the lcd just stays on so I am wondering if that is an ignition switch problem?