Different methods of charging or maintaining power

I’m not a scientist, or very smart, for that matter, but I had an idea and wanted to post it to see if anyone else thinks it might work. the idea is this: one of the big drawbacks to most ev’s is there range. what about using a three way system of recovering power to the battery pack while driving? i thought of using a vehicle with solar panels, wind turbines in the grill area and possibly some type of flywheel to generate power when braking or coasting? is this a possible solution? thanks for any answers you all could give me…

I don’t claim to know much about EVs either (total newbie as a matter of fact), but solar panels definitely work, although you probably can’t put enough panels on your car to move it down the road. When I build mine I’ll probably put a couple of RV panels on the roof to charge the accessory battery. Regenerative braking requires an AC motor and more sophisticated controllers, don’t know much about it.

The wind turbines would be a loser, unless, you could only deploy them where you are braking or coasting down hill. In normal driving they could not produce enough electricity to overcome the extra drag they create.

[QUOTE=rjstractor;2142]I don’t claim to know much about EVs either (total newbie as a matter of fact), but solar panels definitely work, although you probably can’t put enough panels on your car to move it down the road. When I build mine I’ll probably put a couple of RV panels on the roof to charge the accessory battery. Regenerative braking requires an AC motor and more sophisticated controllers, don’t know much about it.

The wind turbines would be a loser, unless, you could only deploy them where you are braking or coasting down hill. In normal driving they could not produce enough electricity to overcome the extra drag they create.[/QUOTE]

:eek: claps good job.

we’ve talked about alot of this stuff already on here, and while it sounds awesome, its basicly like using a sail mounted on the front of the car.

solar panels will work great with extending the range/ recharging the car while its sitting arround, (maybe not a lot but better than nothing) there aren’t many ways of producing power as you drive unfortinately, BUT there are some. most are still in testing phases, and or too expensive to consider viable.

what about converting a small 4 stroke engine to run on hydrogen? They can run on natural gas and Propane too, but thats oil byproducts…

I’m considering a small 1kv generator as a saddle bag on my motorcycle, running propane for extended range… its cleaner burning than gas.

turbines are a no go, with extra crap on the front of the car, comes drag, the enemy of EV’s.

[QUOTE=frodus;2191]what about converting a small 4 stroke engine to run on hydrogen? They can run on natural gas and Propane too, but thats oil byproducts…[/QUOTE]

you can but you have to compensate for the difference in temp since H burns hotter. BMW has a 7 serries that runs off of both H and gas.