Dead 2014 e4 cart!

So, took my, new to me 2014 to the office hoping to beat the rain. Didn’t work! Drove home in rain, plugged in, covered her and went inside. Rained pretty good for a day or so. Went out when clear, uncovered, insert key and DEAD cart!
No display, no lights, no sound! Plug into charging cord and nothing! Turned off main, put cart in sun to dry and still nothing! Shows 36.4 volt at main shunt under rear seat. Fuses look good. Can’t find any obvious shorts.
What should I be looking at or for? Did I lose half my battery pack?
Not getting any clicks or other sounds from under dash.
She ran perfect in the rain, but nothing since. I hope I didn’t kill her!
Not finding anything in the manual to help trace the problem down so coming here for help.
Thank you for any advice or input!

Seems like dead battery. Need to bring it back with an external charger.

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, that was the first thing I thought. Batteries are all at 12.9 each. Charger comes on then shows full charge green led in about 3-4 minutes. Been trying to troubleshoot using the manual, but not having much luck. Seems most requires the display for codes. I’ll be taking the dash apart once it stops raining here.

Check all your fuses. Could be a 12v display fuse that’s not letting the car turn on?

1 Like

What is 36v at shunt mean?

36volt at big fuse under seat ?
it look like a shunt

1 Like

Thank you again for the replies. I checked total voltage at 72+, yes 36.4 at shunt (fuse) under seat. All fuses show closed circuits. I’m not getting 12 v at fuses though. Still waiting for time and weather to take off upper and lower dash and dive into this issue!
Was hoping someone had experienced this problem before.
Didn’t think rain could kill one of these! Never had a problem with my other ones. First rain for this one and dead!
Will report back once problem is identified.

did you here sound from buzzer then release hand brake and key are off ?

I had a similar issue and it turned out to be that one battery terminal had worked lose enough to melt the terminal and down into the battery. That was just from being a little lose. Look for any discolored terminals or wire ends. Also check all of your nuts to make sure they are tight and not corroded.

No sounds, clunks etc. just dead. Good voltage everywhere it’s supposed to be on available connections. Will be removing upper and lower dash to figure it out sometime next week.
Thank you for you for your reply. I will post once I’ve figured this out.
I didn’t think rain would kill her!

Charger is exposed to water. Does charger come on?
You said “nothing” when plugged in.

on 2014 Gem you can see vent hole on top charger and water can come inside there
and you also have DC/DC inside on that model
did you look if fuse F13 are ok ?

1 Like

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
To recap, drove home in rain, plugged in charger, covered her and went inside. Two days later dead cart!
Charger does light yellow for a couple of minutes for top off charge and then shows green led. There I should no charging display on dash, nothing on dash whatsoever. No headlights, horn or blinkers. No clunk when key turned on, no reverse beeper, no handbrake buzzer. There is proper voltage everywhere I checked, under rear seat, at each battery. Fuses all test closed circuit, but I’m not getting voltage on them. Haven’t opened dash yet so don’t know what’s going on in there yet.
Hopefully that explained my situation a bit better. I’ll be getting into the dash next week, w3ather and time permitting.

To me it sounds like the converter has issues. Typically when you have 12 volt issues the 72v to 12v converter is not working properly. I have seen them have issues in cold/damp situations. Usually when your vehicle is warm and dry the issues don’t occur. Put your car in the garage and let it dry out well. May resolve itself or you may need a new converter.

As well check your motor terminals for any rust (I’ve never seen it on a Gem that new but I live in a desert). Other than that it could be your DC/DC converter as mentioned above or the PSDM assembly that contains all the fuses and connections behind the dash (I have seen them go bad for that year unfortunately because of the relay on the PWB, as well as improper torque on the screws that mount the studs for main battery pack voltage. It is only sold as an assembly).

1 Like