Considering ford focus zx3 donor car

I am considering a ford focus zx3 as my top choice for a donor car right now… pretty low cost, low weight, and first glance looks like there is a fair amount of room for batteries.

Has anyone done one? have designs for battery rack? availability of transmission adaptor? any other tips on this specific donor car?

is it a manual or automatic?

that will help more.

Feus, What are the pros and cons of either automatic and or manual transmission pertaining to ev’s?

[QUOTE=Adam;1418]Feus, What are the pros and cons of either automatic and or manual transmission pertaining to ev’s?[/QUOTE]

usually the ease of hooking it up to the transmission (electric motor that is)

and if you have an automatic transmission you’ll need to make sure the programing for it still works and all. thats why its usually easier to do it on a manual transmission where you pick the gear (usually second gear, 4th gear, and reverse)

I think the Focus isn’t a bad car to start with.

I got to drive an electric Geo Metro this past summer at the MREA energy fair ( http://www.the-mrea.org/ )

That was a great little electric car. The Focus is similar.
My sister has a gasoline Focus. We did a 3 hour ride in it with 5 people and a lap dog. It was a little tight.

I say go for it, but yeah, get the transmission part figured out first.

I’m studying up on what it would take to convert a ZX5. I like the idea of the Solectria AC24 kit with the10/1 differential that ElectroAutomotive sells. But when I estimated how much the batteries will weigh (approx 1200lbs for a 144V system) I got a little worried about the suspension. Adding leaf springs to a truck seems straight forward, but I’m not sure how to specify the stiffness of a coil spring to make sure it can handle an extra 1200 lbs. Is it possible to buy truck springs and pop them into the Focus?

The automactic trans. also carries a much heavier penalty for parasitic losses inside the trans itself. Remember, automatics work on the principal of slippage. They have several clutch packs in them and the smoothness of an automactic comes from the designed in slippage of these clutches.

This inherent design also generates a lot more heat. Excessive heat will kill an auto trans quickly. If you run an auto trans in your EV you will have to have a trans. cooler as well. Most factory coolers are located in the radiator.

If you go with a manual trans. you can still use your existing clutch setup or remove it to save weight and shift by easing off the throttle to shift, the synchros in the trans will aid in this type of shift.

Hope this helps:)

wrong thread

double post

[QUOTE=dtbaker;1416]I am considering a ford focus zx3 as my top choice for a donor car right now… pretty low cost, low weight, and first glance looks like there is a fair amount of room for batteries.[/QUOTE]

I’ve been contemplating a similar project. I own a 2004 Focus ZX3 with 130k miles. Still running well but mileage has dropped to 31mpg. I did a VoltsRabbit conversion a few years ago using the kit from ElectroAutomotive, but I don’t live in the city anymore so the 30 miles/charge aren’t working for me.

I’m thinking about mounting the motor on the Focus’ rear axle and putting 8-12V batteries in the back seat for a limited range EV. The alternative would be to convert the ZX3 to EV using the full kit, but since its running well I’m reluctant to give it up.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hi,
Electric Car Froum is a very good and most useful site.Thanks for using your site.

Kanyakumari Hotels |
Kanyakumari tourist places | Tour packages in kanyakumari

Would it be too expensive to use hub motors on the rear axle? That way you could do away with transmission completely.

I have an old Geo Metro and a Ford Focus.

Both of them are on their last legs with very high mileage. I am wondering which would be easiest to convert to electric.

They are both manual transmissions.

Any opinions are welcome

Thanks

electrifiedknowledge