Chevy Volt Battery Install -> 2000 GEM 4 seater in San Diego

I ran out of battery lugs for making cables so I figured I’d work on the install of the Delta-q. I did a mock up just holding the charger against the firewall and realized there wasn’t enough aluminum vertically to meet the top and bottom mounts. I’d have to figure out a way to extend the aluminum firewall and get the 1 inch spacing so the cooling fins weren’t hitting the components on the left and right side.

Went to the hardware store with the charger in hand and some pictures to see what I could come up with. Ended finding some square 1x1 aluminum. Figured I could cut these to length and use them as rails to mount the charger to the firewall.

I used bolts to go through the rails and into the firewall. Used self-tapping metal screws to mount the charger to the rails. As other’s before me have noted, it’s a snug fit. A little worried that heat might be an issue when charging. I’ll have to do more research on what someone (a think Dave @Inwo) suggested about putting the charger on a timer to cycle on and off.

One other thing I did and changed. One of the threads had the charger with the DC side facing down so I followed that. Then read the installation manual and it said it’s recommended to have the DC side facing up so I spun it around. Wondering if it matters or there’s a reason for going DC side down. Guess I’ll find out when I wire it up if there are issues with space.

pic of the charger flipped with the DC up

one bone head move when drilling one of the holes… let the AC side insulation rub against my drill chuck and it wore some of the insulation away. Can’t see any of the cables so hoping this is fine. Someone smarter than me let me know. Just sucks screwing up something that’s brand new!