Charging Requirements

Hello All,

If I want to use a 1000 Watt generator at 1/4 load. Is 250 Watts enough to charge the GEM 4 car. What is the requirements besides 110 volt ac source?

Thanks
Chuck

FYI, I seen this thread but dont know if these values can be confirmed or verify

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/neighborhood-vehicles/2687-charging-gem-2000watt-gas-generator.html

You would need a higher capacity generator. The charger can draw more than 900 watts during the initial charging cycle with a fairly low battery. This could last for a few hours so you’ll want something like an 1800 or 2000 watt generator. Also, since the chargers are the switching regulator type, the waveform will be important. Some smaller generators will have problems keeping the charger happy due to the switching power supply stripping the tops of the sine waves off of the high-impedance low-powered generators. Bigger is almost always better.

Don’t forget the inefficiency of these generators compared to the big power plants and the amount of pollution they create…

[QUOTE=bob.peloquin;14309]You would need a higher capacity generator. The charger can draw more than 900 watts during the initial charging cycle with a fairly low battery. This could last for a few hours so you’ll want something like an 1800 or 2000 watt generator. Also, since the chargers are the switching regulator type, the waveform will be important. Some smaller generators will have problems keeping the charger happy due to the switching power supply stripping the tops of the sine waves off of the high-impedance low-powered generators. Bigger is almost always better.

Don’t forget the inefficiency of these generators compared to the big power plants and the amount of pollution they create…[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. I may have an issue charging if I cant get my car close to my condo and would need a backup plan if needed . I assume 900 watts if drained and around a few hundred watts to top it off. How much amps do I need if 900 watts is max. I assume that I will draw 12.5 amps so a 15 amp breaker dedicated would be required. Does that sound about right.

Fuzzy math

900/72=12.5

Thanks
Chuck

[QUOTE=chuckneste;14317]Thanks for the reply. I may have an issue charging if I cant get my car close to my condo and would need a backup plan if needed . I assume 900 watts if drained and around a few hundred watts to top it off. How much amps do I need if 900 watts is max. I assume that I will draw 12.5 amps so a 15 amp breaker dedicated would be required. Does that sound about right.

Fuzzy math

900/72=12.5

Thanks
Chuck[/QUOTE]That’s the amps to the battery, not to the charger. 900/120=7.5 amps. Just use a 12 ga 100 foot extension cord.