Calling all Think owners Hello!

Pre-Production Think looks like a good candidate to Hot Rod. Check out this gear box

That looks like a bolt up motor swap. How long can the motor be?

I didn’t put a tape to it but I would say 10 inches is max. That motor is right to the frame.

This is the Green one I bought. Lead acid Batteries checked out great so I started messing around with it last night. Bank of three under the hood was wired wrong, I will test drive it tonight.

Plan is to keep one and sell one, wife likes the blue one which is the production model.

Anyway, send me the motor you want machined to fit the production gear box. I was looking for a gear box to have on the bench to fit to. There is one on Ebay for 175.00 not too bad.

1 Like

Not meaning to renege on you.
While I am quit sure you can match up the motor to the gear box, not sure that you can find room for a 14" long motor.
Our idea was to rotate the gear box back until the motor fits under the frame. No one has done it and it may not be possible.
I would like to wait until you are confident that it’s possible before sending a motor.
induction motor

I will take a look when I unload the blue production car

1 Like

I hope you understand. While I’m happy to sell you a motor that you can return, it’s $100 to ship a motor, and looking for some degree of confidence that you are up for the task before investing in the project.
This is the motor that we’ve done the tested the most, and the one I have an interest in fitting.

No problem. I will see if we can turn the diff relatively easily.

I am a bit disoriented with J260’s pic above.
Why does it look like his trans is not mounted via the output shaft flange (as in Inwo’s pic)
but instead it appears to have a pan mount like the Gem cars?

What does he have in there?

Pre-production car must use dana style gear box. Remains to be seen if it was special built for Graziano motor. I’m the only one dumb enough to even think that. I’m quite sure they copied Gem on some things. I suppose it’s a Gem motor.
Now we can see what it takes to put a Gem gear box into a production Think. :slight_smile:
I wonder if shafts are available. Dana to Think hubs. That would put or motor mods on the shelf.

Also see what it would take to put a dana gearbox in. I have a feeling, it will be much simpler.
My 6:1 gearbox is the same style as your early Think. Any of 20 motors will bolt right up.

I would think that would be easy. A sawsall and a bolt-up Kit but it won’t solve the motor length problem, I will measure the motor tonight.

Does your Dana gear box look like my pre-production gearbox?

Even then it may not clear the shock. There is some reason why no one takes up the challenge.
(except for the belt drive) I’m no fan, but I guess it works good.

I am a newbie here and am curious what is to be gained and how much money to gain it? The 14" long motors are bolt-up? More power obviously what is the sweet spot for these cars as far as battery life, speed and power?

TurboDad has a sweet set-up and the battery life he is getting makes me very curious. The 50 MPH really does not intrigue me, but I would not mind the ability I suppose. The one I have at thirty feels like its flying.

What are your goals as far as kits go?

I need to source some lithium batteries for my production model. That is the first step for me as I just don’t really want to spend the 1800 on Gel’s

curious what is to be gained and how much money to gain it?

Hey, look at that mountain. Let’s see what it looks like from the top!

LOL… I hear you…I live in lower Michigan. The biggest hill I will see is driving into the trailer.

I am thinking you guys are looking for a reasonable and fairly easy upgrade for the Think’s and I am biting but I really don’t have any idea what I am biting on.

I got caught up working on Front Brakes on the pre-production green Think. I did not get a chance to look at the production model last night. I will keep you informed when I get to it.

it’s too bad something like this will not work on a Think. This is a nice kit:
Star EV 600A 5KW Navitas DC To AC Conversion Kit With On-The-Fly Programmer

1 Like