Brushed vs. Brushless

I am new here so this may be a dumb question. The way I understand it is that brushless is virtually maintenance free. So what reason is there to choose a brushed motor over brushless?

Cost, its MUCH cheaper, less than $1000 for a motorcycle controller and motor.

Once you go brushless, you might be able to get a mars motor, but then you have a sevcon controller and are limited to 48V. If you go with the electricmotorsport induction motor, you’re looking at 2-3 grand at least.

AC is more expensive for the same power of a DC solution.

[QUOTE=dwilson;3866]I am new here so this may be a dumb question. The way I understand it is that brushless is virtually maintenance free. So what reason is there to choose a brushed motor over brushless?[/QUOTE]

To my knowledge, no one makes a brushless motor big enough to use for an EV.
Controllers would be the next problem.
Brushed DC traction motors have been around for a very long time.
-enganear

[QUOTE=enganear;3868]To my knowledge, no one makes a brushless motor big enough to use for an EV.
Controllers would be the next problem.
Brushed DC traction motors have been around for a very long time.
-enganear[/QUOTE]

well, then you don’t know much at all. EV= electric vehicle, and a motorcycle is a vehicle. This “forum” is the “Electric Motorcycles, Electric Bikes , Segways , Scooters Etc”

Mars makes a brushless motor big enough, and if you haven’t heard of that Mars motor, and are Posting in this section, then you should probably just leave it up to those of us that are actually doing motorcycle/scooter conversions and stick in the “Conversions, Kit Electric Cars, and DIY” area. Not to mention there are several other BLDC motor manufacturers out there that would be acceptable for a small scooter or motorcycle. Controllers for the BLDC aren’t hard to find either.

Now, if the poster was talking about a CAR, then no, no motors or controllers for large applications like that. Better to go to AC at that point if you need the regen capability.

No, I was speaking of motorcycles. I have been checking out several sites dedicated to electric conversions of motorcycles. I was looking at the electric motors over at electricmotorsport.com and couldn’t find much a difference in the e-tek “brushed” motor and the mars “brushless” motor, other than the maintenance issue. The mars motor is the same price as the e-tek. They also have a millipak PMAC controller that will work with the mars motor for $480. So that would be a brushless motor, controller combo for less than $1000 unless I’m missing something.

On another thread on this forum there’s been mentioned a brushless electric motor (japanese?) with built in controller for like $480.

I’ll admit I’ve got a lot to learn. Thanks for the insight.

David

[QUOTE=frodus;3869]well, then you don’t know much at all. EV= electric vehicle, and a motorcycle is a vehicle. This “forum” is the “Electric Motorcycles, Electric Bikes , Segways , Scooters Etc”

Mars makes a brushless motor big enough, and if you haven’t heard of that Mars motor, and are Posting in this section, then you should probably just leave it up to those of us that are actually doing motorcycle/scooter conversions and stick in the “Conversions, Kit Electric Cars, and DIY” area. Not to mention there are several other BLDC motor manufacturers out there that would be acceptable for a small scooter or motorcycle. Controllers for the BLDC aren’t hard to find either.

Now, if the poster was talking about a CAR, then no, no motors or controllers for large applications like that. Better to go to AC at that point if you need the regen capability.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, I do not know much at all. I participate in many forums and missed the header for this one. I even own a brushless scooter. I hope you can find it in your heart to look down from the mountain and offer forgiveness to one so lowly as me. LOL
-enganear