Brake Work

Yeah I think I have busted the shoe now by not installing it correctly. All of my fluid has leaked out the front right brakes. - Not good. I just need that conversion kit quick.

BTW my garage has smelled like Sulfur for the past week and I had no idea what it was. Finally I pin pointed it to my GEM Car. I just put water in those batteries (Trojans) about 2 weeks ago and now when I checked they REEKED of Sulfur and one battery (the first one on the cycle) was drained completely. What the heck is going on?!?!

The battery has 1 or more shorted cells. The only good way to check battery condition is with a hydrometer.

Regardless of drum or disk, the brakes will still need to be bled. On all GEMs with four lug drum brakes, the longer spring goes on top, right under the wheel cylinder.

Daniel

Well I have the brakes back on but the metal rod that holds the shoes in place broke off on the right side therefore breaking the top part that compresses the brakes to stop.

I have lost all braking on my right side. Along with that I just replaced 1 battery that had a post burn off. Now I smelled rotten eggs in my garage and the new battery drains water like crazy. I actually think it is bubbling in there when I charge it up depleting the battery water.

I did bleed the brakes and I did keep the water levels correct but I am having so many issues with this old GEM Car its frustrating. I have all the necessary upgrades from Ride-for-fun charger etc.

I think disc brakes is my answer but I’n not sure about the battery and whats going on with that.

Any feedback will help.

HI Old Houseboater, I am a new GEM owner (2002 E825) and the brakes do not work well. I have to press on the brake pedal extremely hard to stop, using both feet. I am not very knowledgeable about fixing these types of things. Can you suggest some diagnostic tests to try to find the problem?

Thanks!

I am working on the rebuild of this 05 E2 and wanted to have a trained set of eyes tell me if all looks normal in the brakes. This is the rear right and all seems dry and I think the shoes are still plenty worthy of use but do not have any new ones to compare to. Thanks just making sure I am covering all bases while I have things apart.

Looks great

[QUOTE=OLD HOUSEBOATER;23410]???I’m missing something here. Gem brakes just about fall off after you take off the clips on the retainer pins and push the brake pistons inward.

Brake cylinders are cheap on Ebay. Change them out and your good for 10 years.

NOTE: Just loosen the brake line at the brake cylinder. (a half turn is enough.Then remove the cylinder attaching bolts and unscrew yhe cylinder from the brake line. It’s almost impossible to unscrew the brake line from the cyliynder with out twisting off the line because its rusted to the fitting nut.[/QOTE]

Just did a search for front wheel cylinders on Ebay; I didn’t find one.

NEV PARTS has rear wheel cylinders. Fronts are on back order.

Go here if you have to do the fronts.

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/electric-vehicle-diy-forum/10185-diy-front-wheel-cylinder-rebuild.html

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;30949]NEV PARTS has rear wheel cylinders. Fronts are on back order.

Go here if you have to do the fronts.

http://www.electricforum.com/cars/electric-vehicle-diy-forum/10185-diy-front-wheel-cylinder-rebuild.html[/quote]

thnx, I need the fronts

FWIW, I just found out my rear wheel cylinders were both leaking and the shoes and drum wet. I parked on a very slight incline and could not get the parking brake to hold so I opened up a drum and then the other. Cleaned them up and new wheel cylinders are on their way but they are ~$20ea so just 2 is $40.

The fronts were ok so that has me wondering, is this normal, ie it’s always the rear which leak?
And oh my, a set of shoes for the rear is $70.

Doug