Best EV Wheels

Hey everyone i’m new to this forum and this is my first post. i’m converting a pontiac fiero www.cardomain.com/ride/2910360 (i will be making an account with www.evalbum.com soon) and am just wondering if anyone knows of any special rims that have a minimal amount of drag?

usually look at the honda ones from the insight, but i dont know what your bolt pattern… or if you want something a bit easier… get some steel wheels and put on some hubcaps that are smooth on there.

Welcome to the forum, and the project looks like it should be alot of fun to keep up with watching for the updates and all.

Stick with the stock steel wheels and get these
http://cgi.ebay.ca/MOON-DISC-SALT-FLAT-HOT-ROD-WHEEL-DISC-STAINLESS_W0QQitemZ130156229818QQihZ003QQcategoryZ140745QQcmdZViewItem
. Any bolt pattern correct wheel that’ll accept hubcaps will work. If drag is your main concern and you won’t be doing any hard cornering you could probably get away with 5" wide wheels. I know Chevy had some steel wheels that were 15" x 5" or 6". Then a 205/50 15 tire would minimize the tire / wheel combo weight. Maybe even look at 4" or 4.5" wide wheels since they’ll be going on a Fiero.
Do you know your bolt pattern? That could help us out.

Cheers and welcome to the forum

I would consider the way they have built the Honda Insight rear wheel wells if you want less drag. Honda put allot of money out on thier engineers and they came up with a sleek design and wheel skirts?, to reduce the drag.

I would say there are better ways to reduce frication than that. Skinny tires will do this, but at a price. You can say goodbye to emergency handling with the added weight of an EV. If you want to reduce air drag, you can put a shield of plastic under the car like they did here: http://www.metricmind.com/ac_honda/pan.htm

A 4.5" wheel would yield a 5" wide contact patch which would still be more traction than what the suspension geometry and strength on a Fiero could support. I wouldn’t try to put more than 600 pounds of batts in that car anyway. It’d tear itself apart pretty quickly. Also, where WOULD all that batt go?

That said, I vote for the belly pan as well.

Cheers

Hey, thanks for all the links, and advice. i haven’t been able to come on here in a long time because work had the site blocked for a while, they had all forums blocked for a while and have now opened non threatening sites. i do have my car on www.evalbum.com now and on www.cardomain.com/ride/2910360 i think i will be instaling a belly pan when i finish the conversion, and do more with wheels once i have more money saved up. thanks again!

[QUOTE=electric85;1730]Hey, thanks for all the links, and advice. i haven’t been able to come on here in a long time because work had the site blocked for a while, they had all forums blocked for a while and have now opened non threatening sites. i do have my car on www.evalbum.com now and on www.cardomain.com/ride/2910360 i think i will be instaling a belly pan when i finish the conversion, and do more with wheels once i have more money saved up. thanks again![/QUOTE]

nice shop! and good luck with everything!