Benchtop Programming of a T2 controller

Not in theory. Both should be the same.

What is the easiest? Send something for me to test, or send you another t1/T2 cable that i test here?

I’ve tried swapping Rx/Tx already and I tried using the ground on the 12pin connector( pin 4 ) instead of P23-16. I have connected enough TTL level( and 3.3v level ) serial ports to try the standard things.

I even went and installed the latest official FTDI driver for Windows just in case there were some odd driver things going on. And I see the Rx and Tx LEDs blinking when you’d think they would be but the Sentry software does not like what it is seeing for the controller.

You can send it here to test, or someone close to you.
Or I’ll send a tested one. Send me a dollar payment on PP or buy a $1 item on Ebay barbjb.

Can controller have bad comms? T2 doesn’t use serial data to drive car.

doubtful since Mike has programmed it.

Correct. Was there something I said which seemed like I was saying it does? I know it will work without me gaining access to the program but while the T2 I have in the car is physically broken, it works well and is pretty stock so I wanted to store that program before putting in the one Mike applied performance tunes into and therefore would have a way back from that if it effects the car too much.

And once I ship back a controller to Mike, then I have only the controller in the vehicle to try and get the Sentry software working with. ie I have to do all my attempts to get Sentry communications/programming functional outside hanging over the dash of the car. No garage, no carport.

As for sending another programming kit or FTDI cable goes, let me do a loop test between the existing FTDI and another one I have( tx->rx and rx->tx ) and talk across them with terminal apps.

Did you ever address this question?

Sorry, yes I found the answer in the PDF on the CDROM. I don’t recall it saying why or what level 6 is but it said to change from level 1( default ) to level 6. It had no effect on how the Sentry software communicated with the controller in my case.

I will screen shot your settings when I get it.

If we think it’s a potential hardware / cable issue… @DelThink is 15 min up the road from PB and has my cable for the T2. I’ve used it on both of those actual controllers and know for sure that it works.

PS. they were fully installed in the car when I pulled settings and messed with them.

Higher access level / write permissions IIRC.

1 Like

Yes @Erniea15 that’s what in the PDF on the CDROM and it does not state what Level 6 is or why you need to change it, just to change it so I did but it had no effect on my ability to connect Sentry to the controller on the bench with the power configuration listed above( with or without B+ powered ).

Has anyone bench tested/programmed these controllers? It just didn’t seem like rocket science when I saw the T1 setup was using a replacement 23 pin connector with only 4 wires in it and I saw somewhere that they say to remove the display connection because it can pull down the 5V power line. MIght have been for the Handheld unit though.

So on my “bench” the only things I’m missing are F1 F2 motor connections and the A1 and A2 motor windings connections.

I’m going to venture to guess that this Sentry software does some crazy ■■■■ on the serial cable like the old Palm Pilots used to do like start at 9600 baud and then shift to another baud rate after the initial handshake…

1 Like

Let me know when you want it! I installed the app today, hope to get the batteries connected tomorrow in order to reprogram my T2.

@Inwo can you tell me if the Tx and Rx labels on the controller pinout are signal names for the controller OR what is supposed to be connected to those pin?
ie does the Tx from the FTDI connect to the Rx pin of the controller or does Tx get connected to Tx?

Yes
more letters…

According to the docs which came with my kit, there is no need to connect B+ on the controller. The instructions say to throw the main battery switch and turn the key on in some cases but nothing about the main contactor being thrown(ie releasing parking brake).

Correct, power P1 B+ and main B- lug.

Should the installation software directory on the CDROM be labeled “GEM T4 T5 Kit”? Because that is what mine says but the Sentry software version(posted previously) says nothing about being only for T4 and T5 controllers.

Afaik all sentry is the same. Only the definition files are different.
I use same version for all Gems, Tomberlin, Think.

1 Like