Air Conditioning for a 2018 GEM Car

Here are the specs

If itā€™s true that a car is 38,000 BTU and these roof top mounted AC units are like 7800 BTU then Iā€™m gonna have to rethink. Example if these roof top kits are 1/4 the BTU of a traditional car then I donā€™t know how well they are gonna cool

7,800 BTUs per Hour =

2,285.9547 Watts

Better have a big battery

10 Horsepower =

7,456.9987 Watts

Dave do you think in my case with the 20Kw of Goliath Battey power and at 98v would the draw or Watts be less? Most of the runs Iā€™m doing in my car Iā€™m coming back to the house only have used 7-15% of my Packs total power.

20kw/2.285kw= hrs. A long time.
Thatā€™s what I meant by a big battery.

1 Like

It can work with AGMs but lithium is the best bet if you want to go this route.

In my personal opinion I like the No doors Beach/buggy style. I feel no benefit over a car using doors

Well with or With out doors the AC should be nice. Typically I take the doors off the car when it gets warm but for some reason the Doors have remained.

The Dash mounted Fans have been great. No way as good as AC but they work Great

These fans work Great and are hard wired to my dash. I have them wired so the car can be parked with the key off and the fans still going

I think these fans will do a great job if and when I install the AC at moving air all around the cab.

Another option would be installing a Pop Up sunroof and installing it backwards so when itā€™s open itā€™s grabbing fresh air like a hood scoopā€¦

Somthing like this

I miss the little corner window from old cars.

But the roof is not bad idea for non door cars. however the new ones have a glass roof

anyways I donā€™t want to go off topic. I like the AC Idea, it would be awesome for fleet owners,
Scott how much are we talking per unit? do you think it could cool down an E6 in FL?

You know if you just want a little ā€œPlease cool me downā€ breeze you could add a ice cooler. It is a box with Ice in it and a tube that the air goes through. I has been used often over the years, so donā€™t laugh. Sure it does not dehumidify but it can give a cool breeze in the face. Ice melts and drips on the road, big deal.
Now where do you mount this cooler and run the pipes is a good question. Between the seats just below the brake? or is it some kind of leak proof bag?
Thomas Jeffersonā€™s home Monticello was cooled by ice under the house in hay or something.

so you know I not the only crazy person on this planetā€¦ ICE CHEST AIR CONDITIONERS - WHAT WORKS WHAT DOESN'T - YouTube

Yes, it takes a LOT of power for ac. The main reason for doubling the service to homes was for ac. Race cars do not have ac and need them very bad. You know how they lose 20lb per race.
I told Gabe [djgabriel2004] I believe you should have a separate power pack for ac. Or ice pack you sit on.

Looks like the Van conversion community is big on AC units. The Us Made units are like $3k
The ones on AlieBabba are like $300-600

Any updates on your AC Unit?

Well the unit I want is a Heat/AC unit. It was kinda a Unicorn. All the units that came in were
#1 way taller then they were supposed to be. Example the ones that were orderd were supposed to stand off the car like 4-6 inches. The ones that showed up were like 10-12 inches tall.

The one I wanted was a 96volt. It had the ability to do Heat. But this is still on my radar. Remember this unit was gonna include me doing a Roof Rack to ā€œhideā€ or camouflage the AC unit. I didnā€™t want the unit just sticking up there all by itself.

I gotcha. I donā€™t drive mine much in the summer. All that glass and 120 out I just drive my other car.