Adding Batteries for Accessories

I am new to the GEM/electric car world and have just acquired a 2002 e825 for very little money. The batteries had been diagnosed as “DEAD” and needing replacement. I have a NOCO battery charger with a refresh function and decided to give it a try. It typically took 24 hours for each battery to be refreshed and recharged but I ended up with 6 good batteries. I realized that I was going to spend some money on maintenance but things have gone way past maintenance at this point.I am interested in adding 2 additional batteries outside of the main circuit as “HOUSE” power but would like to have them charge off the main circuit when I charge the cart. My questions are:
1). Is the capability to charge off the main circuit a dream or can it be done?
2). Has anyone else done this and if so where are you mounting the additional batteries?
3). I am electrically challenged so any help with detailed instructions (think stick figures)would be appreciated.

Thanks Glenn

Bump Anybody? I would really appreciate any help offered.

I am no expert, but am wondering why? The built in charger (also have 2002 e825) was set for 72 volts although others on the forum indicate using a QuikQ at higher levels for lithium upgrades. There really isn’t any secure place to add more batteries. I would guess you could charge with an off board charger.

I am adding batteries to power a sound system and some additional lighting. My experience with this is from the boating world where it is common to have a different battery or pair of batteries to power accessories and a separate battery dedicated to the engine.
I will be the first to admit I know absolutely nothing about these cars which I am here hoping to learn something, get advise and or suggestions. I bought my 2002 e825 on the spur of the moment when I was told it could be had for $200. Now I am trying to get up to speed on what the capabilities, short comings and idiosyncrasies are. It looks like a fun project that I realize will cost way more than the purchase price. I have determined that there is space under the front seat pedestal both left and right sides that I can make a battery tray fit into. I plan on cutting doors on both sides to provide access. If I have to wire a separate charger then no problem. I just had hoped there would be a more elegant way of tying the system all together.

If you convert the headlights to LED and use LEDs for the additional lighting, you probably could get by without the extra batteries. As for the stereo, it all depends on how much power the amp draws.

I’d be leery of cutting doors into the sides of the seat pedestals because the fiberglass is all that supports the side of the seat. You might end up with a lot of cracked fiberglass.

On another note, thanks for the tip on the NOCO charger, I picked up a 7200 and decided to give it a try on the batteries in my cart. I figure for $100, it’s worth a shot.

Be sure you operate the charger on the refresh function and allow about 24 hours per battery. My understanding is that the charger pulses/surges power for an extended time which causes the sulphidation (sp?) to fall away from the plates in the battery. I have also used the NOCO’s on gel batteries like Optima’s with success.I am using the G26000 COMMERCIAL WARNING from their web page:
G26000 26A is designed to charge 12-volt and 24-volt lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries up to 500Ah. It can also effectively maintain automotive, marine, RV, lawn & garden and deep-cycle batteries. It charges 2x faster than ordinary chargers, can jumpstart dead batteries, repair damaged batteries, charge 16v racing batteries, power DC devices and is designed to use with micro-hybrid start-stop vehicles and CANBUS electrical systems. It features external mounting holes and a rubberized base that avoids surface slipping and scratches, all while remaining impact, UV and water-resistant (IP44). Intuitive LED indicators provide visual state-of-charge feedback and diagnostic information, even when in maintenance mode. Designed for use on 120-volt 50-60Hz electrical systems, the G26000 smart charger includes HD X-Connect battery clamps with detachable eyelet terminals. 5-year limited warranty.

** Charge fully drained 12V, 16V & 24V lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries up to 500Ah, including cars, trucks, boats and tractors; Safely maintain all types of automotive, marine, RV, lawn & garden and deep-cycle batteries*
** Cutting-edge technology delivers superior performance; Charge 2x faster than ordinary chargers, jump start dead batteries, repair damaged batteries, power DC devices and use with micro-hybrid start-stop vehicles and CANBUS electrical systems*

With regard to the cutting of doors, I have some aircraft aluminum honeycomb material with a fiberglass face that I am going to bond to the inside of the structure with automotive panel bonding adhesive/ I think this will give me enough increase in structural integrity to allow for the doors to be cut with no adverse effect.

your dc to dc charger does about 30a . If your running a class d amp and led lights you should be fine .