Accessories

All of my accessories stopped working yesterday on my 02. I see a round Littelfuse under dash. Would this possibly be the issue? Where could I find one on PHX?

All of your acessories are powerd by what’s called a DC to DC converter. It takes the cars 72 volts and converts it to 12volts. 02 had 2 different types of converters. The early 02s had what looks like a exposed circuit board on the passenger side of the car. They would commonly blow up or melt down or catch on fire. GEM issued a factory recall for these reasons.
Check and let us know what converter you have first. Most likely if it’s the circuit board style that’s the problem.

Is it under the main power relay ?
Mine is aluminum extrusions.
All the mentions on here, about the fire hazard, I never looked before. :o

Not the one on left. (D-Q charger) Below relay. Doesn’t show well in picture!

Picture you posted is what is called the main contact The DC converter should be to the right of that if you’re sitting in the car as a passenger it’s mounted on the firewall

Mine is under. No room to right. They must have moved it to make room for charger.

You can see the heat sink fins under relay.

Mine looks exactly like that except different charger. I don’t see anything to the right of it and nothing that looks like a circuit board??[quote=Inwo;26507]Is it under the main power relay ?
Mine is aluminum extrusions.
All the mentions on here, about the fire hazard, I never looked before. :o

Not the one on left. (D-Q charger) Below relay. Doesn’t show well in picture![/quote]

You probably have a Sure Power converter. I f you blew the fuse on it be sure to replace it with the same capacity fuse. If its it’s shot you can pick one up on ebay for less than $300.

Is the fuse the round Littelfuse?

The little bit you can see below the relay looks like this.
Look close!
Fins above the red wire.

my lucky guess is that the OP has a circuit board DC/DC converter and it went dead

Jamieh: the black box that Inwo" posted is a picture of the upgraded SurePower DC/DC converter. If you have this black box then it’s might be a different problem

Check 15 amp fuse on the fuse block if it exists

Fuse block is in the battery compartment under the hood, upper corner passenger side under the rubber flap

For those of you interested i attached the tech file covering the DC/DC upgrade. it includes schematics for trouble shooting

I’m fairly clueless at this stuff so might have to send it for ? Can I hurt vehicle by driving it like this or am I just without accessories?

You can drive it but you have no brake lights.

OK old thread, I’ve been driving this GEM for last couple of years without lights and think it’s time to try to fix the problem. Can someone help me determine what type of DC Converter I have and how to go about finding one without spending too much?? Is this something an unhandy guy like me can swap out or should I be looking for someone to do it?? I’m in the Phoenix area.

Can anyone tell me why I cannot see the photos you post on here? Frustrating.

https://kensun.com - Automotive parts and accessories here