A very special Schafer/Rodney transmission

A 6 TO 1 SCHAFER / RODNEY transmission built for Dave Bissen and @djgabriel2004 for a special project. Lets ask Gabriel to give us the history and pictures of the build.

Rodney

2 Likes

Nice - 6:1 setup for modern GEM!!

2 Likes

This is going to be installed in my 2016 Gem.
It will be running at 100v with a Tesla 3 battery, a sevcon S6 and a PMAC Motor.

@Inwo, @MikeKC, @Old_Houseboater and me are involved in this Project/experiment.

3 Likes

Whats the status of 6/1? How is Schafer/Rodney holding up. How fast is it?

So far NADA on adapter. Netherlands source can make but would be special. $$$$$$$ .

Hey Rodney, happy holidays

The 6:1 is waiting for me to complete another Tests we are doing with the 10.35 and the 8kW. (By the way this 10.35 is being solid since I installed it)

Im planing to install the 6:1 with the pmac as soon as I finish the Fine tuning we are doing with @Inwo

1 Like

FWIW: I’ve been running a 6:1 transmission in my otherwise bone-stock 7hp 2009 eS for five or six years. It will still spin the 205/40R16’s on takeoff and cruise at 40 mph. it’s an ideal ratio for me.

Wow- Are you sure it is a 6:1?
You must be on flat terrain or it is downhill wherever you go.

Not possible to spin 22.5 diameter tires with only 7 hp and 6/1 gearbox.

1 Like

Yes Assy, I am certain it is a 6:1. I installed the gears myself and I can count.
Yes it’s relatively flat terrain here.
No, I cannot hit 40 mph going uphill.
Remember, it’s an eS, I’m not hauling four to six passengers.

It most certainly is possible. Why in the world would I lie about it?
As I said, it’s an ideal ratio for me - adequate acceleration and a nice cruising speed. Yes, cruising at 35-40mph reduces range. Most of my driving is on city streets where the speed limit is 25mph, but it’s nice to have the higher speed on the busier streets. I generally drive in turf mode which limits my top speed to around 25mph.
I generally respect your opinion and you’ve personally helped me in the past. But I am offended by your assertion that I am dishonest.

1 Like

FWIW - I didn’t read it as a personal attack, more that it’s an unusual configuration. Not often to see lower than 8:1 ratios. Glad to hear it works well for you. I’m in a hilly area, my range would be terrible with that gear config. I pulled the 8:1 and put in a 12:1 in my old 2000.

I read @Old_Houseboater’s post as an opinion, and an opening for further discussion.
I share his opinion but have no firsthand knowledge. My first thought was that Rodney was most likely correct but I won’t argue with facts. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Isn’t it being mated to PMAC motor?

Not sure which ones are the popular ones here, some of them the torque curves are nuts. They look like they almost pull off a legit burnout on donk rims and tires.

1 Like

OK, where would one source a 6:1 transmission? I WANT!

What year? Give Details of application.

I can build one for classic. $1200

Rodney

6:1 gearsets still available here: EZGO Mid-1998-Up High Speed Gear Sets 4 Cycle Gas with Smaller Output Gear Bearing | GolfCarCatalog.com

R4F has a set they ordered for me.

Yes a PMAC, as soon as I finish with other project I will start fine tuning the PMAC

1 Like

R4F also now offers “quite” gears for 16, 17 and 18 year model GEMS?? State that Polaris fixed the loud gears in 19.

@Old_Houseboater - got any idea what they are talking about?

In 2016, 2017, and most 2018 models, GEMs had a drive train change that would result in excessive gear noise when increasing speed over 25 MPH. To maintain stock sound levels and ensure a quiet/comfortable ride at all speeds (even 40+ MPH), Ride-4-Fun has an easily installed Quiet Gear Kit.

I believe RFF sources gears the same place I do. The 16 /17 gear boxes were not quiet. I have not heard of any conversion installations, where ratios were changed, that reported less noise.