30HP Brushless motor upgrade on 2003 GEM

Not too worried. Remember that torque is limited by traction and acceleration. Common sense programming and driving will save the day.
I drive balls to the wall in a little golf cart at 80v.

1 Like

Its an S4. You removed the rpm cap before you shipped Emmy out here

Bateries are samsung cells. Still havent decided if i want to go 2p14, 15 or 16. I have a higher input voltage dc dc converter. But still havent built the pack. Iā€™m lagging. Just too busy at work.

Gears are stock 17:1. I talked to Rodney some time back, making them 12.44 isnt a problem if i want it.

Still have the stock motor. 7.5hp? 10? Its a fat chunky mofo. Not used in any other gem besides the eM. The other motors are too long to fitā€¦

1 Like

No way, Emmy is 17:1 ? I never would have guessed. Most everything is 12:1

Gabe and i have new high speed gearboxes. I wonder? They look just like the new Gems.

Yep, 17:1 factory on all eM1400s ever produced. That part of the design never changed. 9500 rpm max on the motor, but they capped that at like 6500 or 7k to keep it on the stock 22" tires at about 25mph.

With that 17:1 Emmy is a tough ass bytch. Sheā€™s rated for 1200lb trailers on the stock hitch, Iā€™ve moved at least double that weight, all with the old ass worn out original 6V leoch AGM cells. Payload is like 1400, Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve exceeded that, and launched her backwards wtith the dump bed up to unload soil.

I need more room and time, but if I could I kind of want twoā€¦ Leave Emmy as is with the bed sides, hydraulic dump and full dresser cab, and a skinned one for hooning that is just enough to be street legal: which is a windshield and turn signals. No cab or doors, just hood and windshield, flatbed - no steel sides, no hydraulic dumpā€¦

I wonder if I could get a bogus title for mine, seems just what you need.Oh, no windshield.

The windshield could be added and the vehicle inspected for reclassification from an OHV to street legal. But, in CA they are supposed to be safety glass for anything other than a motorcycle, so that makes the eM windshield almost a $1000 proposition.

And yet I see Golf Carts on the street with plastic windshields all the timeā€¦ DMV suck much.

Just sold a dmv windshield for the tomberlin for $350.
Donā€™t know what would fit. I have a flat windshield frame for a ranger. Well my brother does. From the fire. They mount with flat swrap around straps. Let me look.
Putting my whole sales force on alert! :slight_smile:

The roof. and windshield, no glass, is available. Measures the same as Emmy. I think the Tomberlin would have fit too.

Iā€™m sure there are some exceptions, at <15mph golf carts certainly could be one. ā€œGCā€ also exists in both the auto and ohv columns, not sure if that plays a factor. And of course the person inspecting is a big variable. It took 2 or 3 people to figure out what they wanted to classify Emmy as when I registered it. One was saying ā€œgolf cartā€, another was saying ā€œlow speed vehicleā€ and finally after I talked to the supervisor she decided on NEV. (yes, she decided that the US DOT classification might actually be correctā€¦ lol)

1 Like

Hey, put the dot glass on Emmy #2 and substitute for plastic later. After the ā€œaccidentā€.
:rofl: :innocent: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Quick update:
Did a speed run with a Drag Race app - possibly of interest to @Inwo and @MikeKC.
The wheel are now 20.5" tall and I swapped the gear box with a 8.9:1 ratio from a 2001 Gem.
0-30mph in 4.5 s! This motor is fun!
Max speed of 35 mph, might have a few mph left in her.

1 Like

Let me know motor temperature if you sustain 5,000 rpm for more than a short distance.
That was or limiting factor for rpm.

Dave whatā€™s up with getting him your 6:1 transmission that would be fun

1 Like

I tried. To fast i guess. :slight_smile:

Let me test out the 8.9:1 some more (once I finish the build) and weā€™ll see if it makes sense to go to 6:1 :stuck_out_tongue:
Still have lots to do, hereā€™s where Iā€™m at:

1 Like

I never thought a PMAC would or could fit into a Classic Gem we gotta se pics of the motor set up. The PMAC I saw installed was in Troy Hoggardā€™s 2005 gem and it was a tight fit.

I always thought a 2013 + gem with a 6.1 transmission would make a great project car

Quick update. Iā€™ve been busy building the battery pack.
Iā€™m using Samsung 33G cells. 20S 30p so roughly 72V 100Ah.
Pack can do 300A Peak 200A continuous.
Using a Kweld Spot welder

Honeycomb Holder

Copper Bus bar:

ANT BMS with display

Fabricated steel bracket holder for the case.
HeatShrink wrapped the back.
Still need a coverā€¦

Battery was a lot of work 2X my previous largest pack.
Approximately 5000 spot welds!

Might have been better options out there but this was cheap and I had the equipment to build it.

Also finished all the 12V wiring and speaker wiring.
Just need to paint the body.
My wife is reupholstering the seats

Front seats are next, almost done!

1 Like

So the car has a 8.1 and itā€™s going 35,
In a hurry? Any more up dates. What would 24 inch tires/wheel combo give ya.