2015 GEM es moves very slow

Some motors come apart fairly easy and you could run some sandpaper over that thing. This motor is kind of a pain to get apart and takes a bit of finesse.

For now, take that motor out of your other car and put it in this one.
We can check out the controller until your big motor comes back.

Iā€™ll see what I can do tomorrow about getting the motor rebuilt. The motor in the other cart is the same. Iā€™ll see about swapping them. It may take me some time. Iā€™ll get back to all soon. Thanks so much for the help so far.

Nick Valsamakis

Hopefully the motor in the other cart wasnā€™t rebuilt by the same guy.
It might be a good idea to pop that band cover off and check itā€™s brushes and comm before the install.

Itā€™s easier to do all this while it is out on the bench.

1 Like

Ya, when you pointed out the springs were on a locking stand I was thinking how bad it was for the user who got that from whomever did the rebuild or if it came from factory that way. The dash looks to have over 2,000 miles on it so maybe it was a rebuild for some reason.

AMD black 7hp is the most tricky motor to take apart and rebuild properly if you donā€™t have experience. They are the tightest tolerances and require some finesse. IMO call Rodney @Old_Houseboater for a rebuild.

Thanks for all the information and recommendations.

Nick Valsamakis

Your motor was driven WAY to long after the brushes started to stick. Commutater will have to be machined. If you only have 2000 miles on it brushes can be cleaned up and reused, I put a new bearing in all motors I service, .If you try to remove brushes your self you will brake the brush holder. I have a special jig for removing stuck brushes and over 25 AMD 7.5 fan motors Service experience.
Check me out on any GEM forum. rodneyadiehl@aol.com

I pulled the motor out yesterday afternoon. What do you estimate it will cost me to refurbish my motor, considering worst case scenario? Where are you located?

From $170 to $200 if you donā€™t touch it. Should be good for 5 years before next service. (Except coastal areas)

Send to
Rodney Diehl
2400 Baywater Road
Tavares Florida
WITH RETURN SHIPPER

251 269 3182

I definitely want you to do the work. What service should I use to ship the motor to you (USPS, UPS, FEDEX)? How do I package the motor for transport? How do i pay you (PAYPAL, VISA)? Sorry, Iā€™m a novice at this.

Nick Valsamakis

FedEx Have them pack it and insure it for $600.

Dont forget return shipper.

The motor is on its way to you. I shipped about 1 hour ago from a FEDEX office in Tupelo, MS. Unfortunately, they do not package. I purchased some bubble wrap and did the best I could. No packaging can protect it that they offered. I insured for $600 and included a return shipper. I was told that it should arrive by Monday.

Thank you

Please email me so we can get this off the forum

rodneyadiehl@aol.com

Shipping a motor the safe way!! -Works awesome

Old post:
yes, @grantwest gave me the idea and it works great.

1. Get box
  2. Get two cans of expanding spray foam at the hardware store
  3. Get a large plastic trash bag
  4. Get two 2x4ā€™s that you can lay in the bottom of the box

Put the 2x4ā€™s spaced out on the bottom of the box, then wrap the motor in the plastic bag and tape shut. Use one can of spray foam and cover the bottom of the box and 2x4ā€™s, while the foam is expanding drop the motor in on top of the 2x4ā€™s. Now use the rest of that can of foam to fill in the ends and sides between the box and the motor.
Let set -
When you come back the motor will be all tucked in nicely. Now take the second can and fill in any open areas and cover the top of the motor. Close and tape the box shut. The motor will be encased in a foam pillow for the ride to anywhere in the country.
Dave and I have been using the method for a while and it works great!!!

1 Like

I wish I had MikeKCā€™s packing instructions before I shipped to Rodney. Unfortunately, Fedex lost my armature on the way to Florida. Rodney received the outer shell of the motor only. I filed a claim with Fedex but they want up to 2 weeks to resolve. I did insure the motor for $600 with Fedex.

Sorry for your loss. Insurance claims are a PITA. At least FedEx is one of the few that pay out.

Sorry brah, but datā€™s some funny shĆÆt.
I see some guy wandering around the warehouse minding his own business, maybe whistling a showtune, then, he steps on the armatureā€¦ instant unicycle. Que Benny Hill theme song.

but datā€™s some funny shĆÆt.

Iā€™m picturing the maintenance guy at the sorting facility is frantically running it around and wondering where the h3ll this thing fell out of !!!
(Benny Hill still applies)

So how does this get resolved? Supposedly the FedEx clerk accepted the package/packaging and because it failed and the rotor punched a hole in the box and fell out, FedEx insurance covers it for the amount of the coverage? Full $600?

Or if they determine the failure was due to a loose part damaging the packaging from the inside and therefore not their fault and pay nothing?

Iā€™m curious how this type of insurance works.

Iā€™ll let everyone know when FedEx gets back to me. I have not heard anything yet.

I filed a claim with Fedex on 06/06/2022 for my missing armature enroute to Florida ( I shipped my motor to Old_Houseboater on 06/02). Fedex claims are supposed to be resolved in 5-7 days. Itā€™s been 2 weeks today. I donā€™t get any information in my online Fedex account. I have called 5 times. I was told that someone would contact me. Today I was on hold on the phone for 40 minutes and then cutoff. I called back and was told itā€™s under investigation. I was also told that it might take longer than 7 days (2 WEEKS) and someone would contact me probably via e-mail. Iā€™m still waiting to resolve the claim, meanwhile my cart sits in my garage. I am trying to chase down some electrical issues.