2014 Gem

Hey buddy, Im sure that Im missing something here. Im buttoning things up on my car and put it on to charge and I cant get the chargery charger to put out amps. Any settings that I should look at? It was charging just fine the other day.

Cell count 28
Charge Current 10a
End Current 10%
End Voltage 3.5v
Restart Charge Yes
Auto Charge Yes

Iā€™m an ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– , I I forgot to push and hold life, sorry to waste your time.

Hey Dave, quick question. Could I use the chargery charger as a power supply through the BMS to charge 29 cells? Itā€™s says it goes to 102v. I think I can use an extra cell with your spoof.

Yes, you can. I believe it only does 28s lifepo4, but you can set it to 28s and a higher voltage per cell.
I do the same charging 4s. It only goes down to 5s, but it can be worked around.
90+ volts is on the edge of overheating the main contactor coil. Itā€™s a good Idea to connect a series resistor to limit current.

I have a few spare contractors so I think Iā€™m going to try it! Could you send me a link for a series resistor if you would be so kind.

I did the math for someone once before. Have to search for it.
Measure the coil resistance for me and Iā€™ll make a guess. Thinking 10% to 20% of the coil resistance.
Guessing at wattage if 20% voltage drop = 20v . E*2/R= 400/R
It will dump a lot of heat, but better than in the coil.

Inwo

May '18

This is a Generic coil. (280 ohms?)

FEATURES for your SW200 Style Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) 400A 80VDC 250VAC 12V, 24V, 48V, 60V, 72V, 96V or 120V DC Coil EV Contactor Set

o 400A Contact Switching

o SPST-NO Contact

o Maximum Coil Energy Waste: 18W

o 1.5A Power Draw

Temporarily hooked up the last cell. Disconnected the bms and Iā€™m reading 96.5v. Got code 77. Going to turn on my headlights and radio for a while to see if I can get to 96v. I wish I didnā€™t convert everything to LED, thisnis gunna take a while.

Shouldnā€™t take long after charging to drop. Drops a lot even with no load.
If you want to push your luck add a diode in series with spoof. Each diode adds .6v or so.
Band toward controller.

Did you ever clean this up to go public?
The 28s/29s question is interesting.

Ok got it to 96.1v, and HOLY MONKEYā€¦it pulls like an animal! Got 38mph on gps. I rode it for about 1.5 miles and it was a savage.

Iā€™ll clean this up either tonight or tomorrow.

This is the contactor I have, I think its a 100amp at 72v/80v

Couldnt I just bite the bullet and get a higher amp/volt contactor like thisā€¦

I cant guarentee an economizer will work.
A resistor is a simple fix.
I only need the coil current or resistance to make a good guess.

Ill measure it up tomorrow. I cleaned up the post so go ahead and make it public!

133 ohms? 48watts?
Wow, thatā€™s pretty substantial.

At 100v need 166 ohm total for .6a to flowā€™
Add about 33 ohms.
I^2 R=12 watts

Guessing 30 ohm 25 watt will be a good start.

Something like this? Can you help me understand how this would be wired?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ARCOL-Ohmite/HS25-30R-F?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtlubZbdhIBIEidPY%2bx%2FLaaFfS5yRUJiqc%3D

Yes, connect in series with the coil.
I have 25ohm and 50 ohm.
If you will test voltage at coil using each, Iā€™ll send them to you.
PayPal me a dollar as payment so I can print a label.
If the donā€™t work, you will know what to buy.
Dave

Should the resistor be before or after the fuse? Paypal on its way.

Doesnā€™t matter. I would put it on the + side of coil and mount it to aluminum frame or contactor bracket.