2012 E2 replace front wheel hub bearings. Bearing source and numbers? Boots?

Excessive wheel noise and wobble led to an inspection that turned up worn out front hub bearings on my 2012 GEM E2. Now what? Your suggestions, pointers, and ideas about part numbers and sources to replace those bearings are needed. Today I’ll begin to tear down the hubs, bench them, and see how far I can get before getting ‘stuck’. I’ve done it before, it’s not as fun and easy as YouTube makes it look! I hope that with your help, I can get the parts coming sooner. While waiting for parts, I’ll probably pull the half-shafts, lube and replace the broken boots. Again, sources and part numbers are appreciated. What’d I leave out that needs answered? Thanks!

Listed on NEV accessories website.

https://nev-accessories.com/product-category/gem-cars/gem-bearings/

“That’s what I’m talking about!” thanks for the info! Now to go and wrestle with that gator which is removing 'em.

Robin

Just pulled the cotter keys (yes not staked) from the castle nuts. Tightened the loose bearing and it isn’t as wobbly. Might this cart have taper bearings? Need a photo? The fact it has that nut and pin suggests to me that it is adjustable. Thoughts?

Look more closely at what’s wiggling… If those bearings which were linked are in fact your bearings then they are not tapered. With any luck you were feeling wiggle in the wheel as the assembly side back and forth on the axle and all is good if you snug up the axle bolt to keep the assembly in place.

If not so lucky the bearing was sliding so much on the axle it wore the axle and it no longer is a snug fit to the ID of the bearing and there’ll be further wear as the bearing wiggles a little up/down sliding against the castle nut washer.

disclaimer: I don’t know this front end but as a former auto mechanic who’s done a bunch of wheel bearing replacements and understands a bit about bearings and axles… it’s my $0.02.

Exactly right! The Castle Nut was loose (I expected to have to use a Swede and breaker bar to loosen it, so I was surprised). I tightened it and put in a new cotter key. Now it makes the rest of the wheels look bad. It has almost no wiggle. I didn’t tear it down enough to see if the link is the right bearings but I’m guessing you’re right. Thanks for the prompt input. Just had a fun test drive. Runs out well.

1 Like