2010 e4 Emergency Brake and error code

Working on a 2010 e4 and when e-brake is not engaged light on dash lit and cart won’t move. I raise brake lever until light goes off and cart will move however code 82 comes on after a few feet and cart stops…i’m assuming it’s because brake is slightly engaged?
I tried reversing wires on relay but no difference
Should I replace relay or any suggestions as to cause of problem?
Just installed 6 new 12v Trojan batteries
Thanks

There are three tabs on the switch, make sure you are on the correct tabs. When people switch out batteries many of them accidentally knock these wires off (even tho the switch is in the front and the batteries are in the back. LOL). I don’t recall which tabs to use of the three. Someone on here will remember.

Yep- My 09 has two wires on the top two flags. My mental notes say the switch needs to be closed to go.

Usually there is a beeper that goes along with this. Has that been yanked/pulled/thrown across the room?

It should go like this:
Key (Off), Brake (ON) - Quiet - Park Mode
Key (ON), Brake (ON) - Beeeep
Key (ON), Brake (OFF) - Quiet - Drive mode
Key (OFF), Brake (OFF) - Beeeep

1 Like

Thanks and yes I tried switching wires but it didn’t fix the problem

What I was getting at is your description of e-brake light function seems to be backwards from conventional setup. Your quote-

I raise brake lever until light goes off

On my '09 raising the brake lever (even one click) is putting the brake ON and the light/beep should indicate that state. It sounds like the wires are on the wrong flags on the switch. I also point out that there should be a beeper associated with the e-brake position. If you are not getting beep with the light then someone has been in your wiring and to keep an eye out for more havoc.

What relay are you messing with when you are switching wires? Maybe we need to verify the placement of those wires?

In any case- I totally skimmed over the other clue in your statement. I apologize.

code 82 comes on after a few feet and cart stops

This is a speed sensor issue. Look down on the outboard end of your motor. You will either see a big black disk or a top hat looking thing with wires going to it. Is the connector unplugged? It sounds like you need a new one.

Key on, brake off, brake light lit no beeper
Key on, brake on, light off no beeper
Key off, brake off no beeper
Key off, brake on and beeper sounds

Thanks for your help and time :+1:

@AssyRequired is likely correct about the switch being wired incorrectly. That behavior is precisely opposite of how it’s supposed to behave.

It’s supposed to work like this:

Key position Brake handle Notification light audible alarm why
RUN UP ON OFF So you don’t drive away with the brake on, duh
RUN DOWN OFF OFF normal operating mode
OFF UP OFF OFF normal operating mode
OFF DOWN OFF ON Alert driver that brake is not set.

This is what it’s supposed to look like.
For the behavior you describe, the output is on the wrong connector (DG in the diagram)

Yeah, Something is messed up with that logic. Can you see it or do you need help breaking it down?

I think we need to start at the e-brake switch and go to the relays. I am assuming you were referring to the two up by the windshield on passenger side?

You’re overthinking it. It’s an SPDT microswitch. 3 connectors. the goezouty is hooked up to the wrong DT connector.

1 Like

Yeah, probably… need more coffee.

What has me bumfuzzled In his State1 the brake light goes on without beep.
State2 has light off so the light is not being set by the brake fluid sensor.
At least he verified beep was working in his State4.

I thought the beep and light were tied together. It must be powered from another source and just associated together. I’ll have a look at the wiring diagram again.

Also confused with this:
@MVSteve - In your post 3 you said:

Thanks and yes I tried switching wires but it didn’t fix the problem

What did you switch?
We are talking about the e-brake switch. Verify that the switch is working with a meter. Find the tabs that are closed when the handle is down and open when the handle is up. It should be the top two.

Also- to check the wiring. Verify that when Key (ON), and wires are apart your light goes on and beep sounds. Touching wires together light goes out and beep stops.

Yeah, if it’s connected to pins 1 & 3 when it should be 1 & 2 and then you swap the wires between 1& 3, it’s still wired wrong… and now it’s backwards too… :rofl:

key was off so nothing shows on the dash thus no light
thanks

I’ll try swapping wires again but did this before and it didn’t fix it?

That was my next question…would the brake light come on for another reason other than the e-brake being set?

yes, it could, for low fluid level

key was off so nothing shows on the dash thus no light

Yeah… I gave myself a Duh for that and withdrew my request. I was hoping nobody noticed.

I’ll try swapping wires again but did this before and it didn’t fix it?

Just to be clear- It’s not swapping wires, It is swapping one wire onto the other terminal on the switch. Need a picture?
Also- do you have a meter to see this on the switch?

would the brake light come on for another reason other than the e-brake being set?

Yes- it is also tied to the Brake Fluid Level on your reservoir. It has perplexed many by staying lit regardless of E-Brake lever position only to be low fluid. Yours appears to be ok in this case from your description of State2 above.

Weirdly enough, A low fluid level will only set the light and not trigger a beep or keep the car from running. I guess it is considered a low risk warning.

I was talking about the switch on the lever not relays so my bad
I tested with multimeter and got no readings set at 200 ohms in closed position all wires disconnected? I’m not well versed in this stuff and was trying to find the problem before I called a tech. I also live on an island and it’s expensive to ferry off to a repair shop.
Going to see if I can pull and test relays by windshield pass side.
Thanks

As stated above, have you checked your master cylinder to make sure it is full of fluid?
Light with no beeper points to maybe that being part of the problem.

will do that to make sure
thanks

Going to see if I can pull and test relays by windshield pass side.

No! Don’t go there just yet. One problem at a time.
I want you to check that your two wires are going to the top two connectors on the e-brake switch.