2009 Gem E4 electronic display issue

I have a 2009 Gem car and I am having an issue with the digital display. Display will not read the 10’s position when running. I starts at 1 mph, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 then back to 1. This does not affect the drive ability of the cart.

I assumed there was a error with the 10’s position but then I noticed if it will give me an error code of 11 one day when I forgot to put the brake all the way down. This leads me to believe it’s not a display problem but I don’t know.

Thanks

Seems like counter in psdm. Have you done a complete hard reset? All battery power off.

Hmmm… Interesting problem. I think that speed number comes from the Controller but routed through the PSDM.

Was it always this way? or did something happen that may be related?

The code -11 is a accel pedal down when KeyON error. It clears as soon as you take your foot off the pedal. This is not related to the handbrake error.

Another code you can easily trigger to check the display would come up if you unplug the Speed Sensor off the end of the motor. Locate the 3 wire Deutch connector/pigtail and unplug it for this test. When KeyON (possibly might need to run the car for a few feet this should generate a -81. This should light up the full 8 segments in the 10’s column.

Report back with your results.

Your talking about turning off at switch ?

Yes, that should do it. I had to ask.

Tested and it shows code 82

Interesting. It’s not a segment/contact failure.
I might have to read up on this.

Now do a power down reset as Inwo suggests. Leave car off for a while.

Interesting turn of events here, I unplugged the controller and other wires after turn off power cleaned contacts and used dielectric grease. At digital reading 7mphI’m actually going 30 mph. The digital display never reaches more than 8 mph and I can be going 32-33 mph

Losing quite a bit of the pulses. Try cleaning that connector again.

Also- Depending on what motor you have, Pop the black sensor off the end of the motor and take a look in there. This might be a quirky sensor issue or your magnet had an unscheduled rapid disassembly. I’ve seen the ring magnet come off in several bits. If you got lucky and they all stuck off to the side and out of the way you might have one bit of a magnet left (turning it into a 2 pole magnet (a + and -)

1 Like