2007 GEM - Cant get it to charge!

I was also thinking those numbers were looking good. You batteries seem to be all working equally. This is good!

You charger seems to be topping them ok but is still limiting how fast it is charging them up. If you go out for a longer test ride it will just take longer to charge it back up.

What is your SOC / battery meter reading like? Next time you charge to full green light you might want to reset just in case it is set high and expecting more is coming. It might need to be pushed up a couple of clicks. It might give you a better idea on remaining range before it dives to turtle and leaves you stranded.

The initial Voltage numbers look good both in that the voltage is ~12.7x across the board and hopefully this was after a few hours at rest(after charging).

Now your load numbers are interesting but we have no idea what load you put on those batteries. Did you turn the headlights on and get those numbers? If so then your batteries are toast. Did you put a 10A or more resistive load on each battery? If so then the numbers can show the batteries are weak, not toast but not much good in a NEV. If you put 100A load on the batteries and got those results then they batteries are looking good. FYI the internal resistance of the battery will cause the voltage to drop when putting a load on the battery so the higher the load and the lower the voltage drop the better the battery condition.

Oooo, Good point!
I assumed he did a brake stand test.
You know what they say about when someone assumes somethingā€¦

Yes sirs - I did a brake stand test. Each reading was after about 3-4 seconds of brake stand.

@AssyRequired - when you say maybe I should recalibrate the SOC/Battery meter by pushing it up a couple of clicks, do you mean I should go to a lower number? Earlier this week I calibrated it to 99 after it was fully charged.

2 Likes

No worries! It sounds like you are on top of it.

It sounds like itā€™s time to start sneaking it out for longer range tests.

Well, I snuck out for a 10 mile ride. That does seem to be the range withthese batteries, because it had just given me the turtle sign about 1/4 mile before I pulled back into the driveway. The good news is that the charger seems to pick up the charge no problem. I am no longer getting 4 blinking lights, even when I get it to turtle mode. The bad news, is that it still will not go past level 1 for the charge, so it takes 24 hours to charge back to a green light. So I think I need to replace the charger.

@LithiumGods - How do I get a $360 charger from you? Mine is a 912-7200-01.

Hey all - I just wanted to reach back out to close on this topic and say THANK YOU for the incredible support. I learned so much about my new cart and gained a bunch of confidence in owning and operating it. @LithiumGods hooked me up with a brand new charger, and it is working perfectly now.

Now I just need to you out and enjoy it!

Thanks again

Nice! Thanks for coming back with a final update. Not enough people do this.

Have you checked with Dave or Mike to see if they want your old charger back to see if it can be repaired?

I checked with Mikeā€¦ He says he does not have a need. Iā€™d be happy to hear from Dave if there is interest. I was thinking of throwing it on OfferUp to see if someone will give me $50 for itā€¦

Now that you will be driving it more, the 10 mi range may not be enough.

For the next stage(and cheapest), read up on the 7th battery mod and see if it for you. It will up the performance a bit, and add a bit of range. The only reason I mention it is that it seems like your batt pack was still good? When you wear out these batteries consider lithium.

Have you added the Magic magnet yet?

I can always use parts.

If youā€™re getting 10 mile range now, thatā€™s going to only get worse when you start driving it faster with the MM installed. Higher speed = more current draw. The extra voltage from the 7th battery hack will help a lot with acceleration, speed and to some extent range.

Also, with the 12.44 gears in there, that 4100 rpm rated motor is already turning about 5k just to get you to 25-27 mph range depending on your tire diameter. 6k will get you 30mph, 35mph will need around 7k with 21.5" tires. Momentary bursts are probably fine, but for sustained speed, I donā€™t know if the long GEs will hold up to that kind of abuse. For that youā€™re likely looking at either an AC motor or larger tires and a transmission swap, maybe a higher revving DC motor too. e2ā€™s being so light can get stupid fast tooā€¦

Travis, Glad it is working well for you!