2005 GEM differential Lubrication

Can someone here enlighten me on how to add or check the oil in my 2005 E4 GEM car? I can’t seem to find it…

Thanks!

Pull out the black rubber plug on the oil pan on the bottom of the gearbox. Fill to the level of the bottom of the hole with 80/90 gear oil.

Rodney

I read the post about pulling the rubber plug that is located on the bottom of my 2005 Gem e4 differential housing. When I located this plug and began to remove it, gear oil dumped out of the housing. Lost a few ounces before I was able to put the plug back in place. I’m stumped though as if I remove the plug, the gear oil will surely dump out but don’t see how it is possible to pour new oil in without it just dumping out as I have read that this bottom rubber plug is both the drain and the refill. How do I add oil back into the differential and keep it from just dumping back out?

[quote=milleniumdawg;25669]Can someone here enlighten me on how to add or check the oil in my 2005 E4 GEM car? I can’t seem to find it…

Thanks![/quote]

How did you go about putting gear oil back into the differential? The plug is located on the bottom of the unit and gravity won’t allow to refill from the bottom?

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;25670]Pull out the black rubber plug on the oil pan on the bottom of the gearbox. Fill to the level of the bottom of the hole with 80/90 gear oil.

Rodney[/quote]

How do you go about putting gear oil back into the differential? The plug is located on the bottom of the unit and gravity won’t allow to refill from the bottom?

The vehicle should be level and the bottom of the plug is the oil level. If it comes out, it was probably overfilled or foamed.

Russ

SEE RODNEY’S POST OF 11-20-16 (1:56pm) TO FOLLOW–IF HE DOESN’T KNOW AN ANSWER, THERE ISN’T ONE!!

Wrong - the rubber plug, in the bottom sheet metal pan, is both the place to suck out old oil and fill with new. The gear box will hold from 12 to 20 ounces of oil when full. this depends on the angle that it is mounted. Over filling can lead to oil being forced past the input shaft seal which can lead to motor failure. The pipe tapped hole is for a vent fitting to prevent pressurizing of the gear box due to heat build up. This did not exist on early units.

If your gear box is not leaking and the oil doesn’t show any visible metal there is probably no reason to change it.

This gear box started out as a DANA H12 E and has been built in many configurations over the years. It has been used in many carts, utility vehicles and others. This gear box business is now owned by Schaffer Gear. It is still produced by them as well as replacement service parts.

Rodney

[quote=OLD HOUSEBOATER;33646]Wrong - the rubber plug, in the bottom sheet metal pan, is both the place to suck out old oil and fill with new. The gear box will hold from 12 to 20 ounces of oil when full. this depends on the angle that it is mounted. Over filling can lead to oil being forced past the input shaft seal which can lead to motor failure. The pipe tapped hole is for a vent fitting to prevent pressurizing of the gear box due to heat build up. This did not exist on early units.

If your gear box is not leaking and the oil doesn’t show any visible metal there is probably no reason to change it.

This gear box started out as a DANA H12 E and has been built in many configurations over the years. It has been used in many carts, utility vehicles and others. This gear box business is now owned by Schaffer Gear. It is still produced by them as well as replacement service parts.

Rodney[/quote]
The lesson here is just another reason to check with Rodney—Now I have to drain some of that damned oil that I put into the VENT PLUG. Thanks for bailing me out on this Rodney.:o:o

To further Rodney’s Advice. Make sure your vent plug is not pinched and "vents"
As you go fast the transmission gears work like fan blades and build pressure with in the transmission. That’s what the vent does. So if your vent is clogged or pinched the pressure will build and that’s when your input shaft seal is in jepordy

Actually the vent is there to prevent air pressure buildup from the heat of normal operation. Early models didn’t have a vent. Later models have a bellows which both seals the gear box from injesting any nasty’s from the atmosphere and allows for expansion caused by heat buildup.

Rodney

Filled my 2010 and 2008 today.
Against my better judgment to do maintenance. Started on a ramp looking at boots, and seeing if there were any grease zerks.
Will the gearcase hold more oil when level or with the front up 8"?
I did one of each. The level one was hard to get under. The raised one made it simple.
Both took quite a bit of oil.
What I’ll do is drive off the ramps and take the plug out.

Good solution. How ever I don’t think it makes that much difference. _ fill mine while up on a floor jack._

You’re happy with that? Filled with front end lifted and call it good?

I just drained and refilled our 2001 by driving up on a pair of ramps, jacking up the rear to level. It was low and nothing came out when plug removed. Vacuum pumped about 7-9 oz out and refilled with at least 15 oz.of 80 weight gear lube and it runs much quieter. I think the pan seal is failing as I note dripping on the pavement in my parking spot and all the bolts are wet. Probably wait til it needs major work to replace as it appears to be a big job.