2005 e4 refurbish

I am working on this e4. Basically the body parts were shot and I am replacing or repairing.

However the horn is missing, I can order a new one but I do not know which wires control it. There does not seem to be a hot wire lying loose under the hood, there is a ground wire.

I also have 4 stray wires laying on top of the 4 batteries. a black (ground as tested) a blue, a red, and a blue/yellow. I have the rear panel off, but I marked those connectors, and the tail light wires are separated. Does anyone have an idea as to what these wires are for? License plate light maybe?

Does anyone have a service manual for a 2005 with an electrical schematic to share?

TIA
Tom

Contact @Old_Houseboater for the manual.

SEND ME AN EMAIL rodneyadiehl@aol.com

In a message dated 4/8/2020 6:01:53 PM Eastern Standard Time, electricforum@discoursemail.com writes:

I got the manual from oldhouseboater (Thank You) does anyone know where I can get the wiring diagram?

It’s in the manual that Rodney sent you. Start around page 80…

Got it, typical male, did not bother to look hard enough :wink:

No worries.

True story…

…About 6 months ago I asked Rodney that very same question after he sent me the manual.

lol

For the horn there are 2 wires with female connectors. 1 black/1 grey. They come out of the big loom that runs along the driver side frame rail. The horn bolts to the triangular bracket that’s welded to that frame rail and goes to firewall.

Under the seat I have a blue/yellow and a red/yellow that’s not connected to anything. I’m sure this is not used on my 07 E2. The black probably goes to the 3rd brake light along with a blue/red(maybe purple)

Here’s a jpeg photo of the horn circuit

I removed the spat on this GEM and installed a short bed, I wanted to wire in the bed lights, which was accomplished by splicing in into the original harness. BTW the trunk I removed is in OK shape if anyone on the east coast (Delaware) needs one. The spat is toast as well as the hood.

I am installing the new hood and adding LED headlights, I 3D printed some adapters to fit the LED headlights in the headlight holes. One thing I noticed is that the original hood and the replacement hood the headlight holes are differnent enough that the 3D printed adaptars would only work in the new hood.

I also am adding this LED light bar which has everything I need to connect it. It has a 15 amp inline fuse and the kit wants to connect directlty to a 12v battery. I bought this GEM from a local town whose police department had it and must have had lights and sirens on the roof as there is a 15 amp fuse holder connected to the fuse block.

Any thoughts on whether it would be better to connect directly to a battery or use a 12v source from the fuse panel? I have been probing around the fuse panel looking for another 12v source that is only hot when the key is on, the one that the police had used is hot all the time which is fine but I think the switch for the light bar is illuminated, thus a continous draw.

I would recommend not connecting directly to the batteries as you’d be pulling them out of balance any time you had the light on. Maybe not a big deal if seldom used but It would be best to draw from the DC-DC converter so the load is spread across all of the batteries.