2002 GEM - looking to upgrade to 35mph/45mph

That 41 error is going to quickly turn into a 66 error and your done…
We have seen a patten of this recently. Saw this on a E6 last fall, 41 a couple time then 66, and the whole controller blew.
He now has a Sevcon and AC motor, we had three adults and three kids running 50mph for 15 min, the motor was not even hot, just a little warm, controller was air temp.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m hoping to avoid that. I’ve got a new D&D motor so I’d have to think about which way I’d want to go at that point. Certainly tempting.

Yea, I don’t blame you if you just bought a D&D, get that controller cooled off or your going to have a 66 soon.
Heatsink with fans will help alot.

I’m hoping this will do the trick.

LOL - that will not hurt…LOL

It’s quite sharp so it actually might! It even came with a warning label. :smiley:

1 Like

I have a 2002 gem what do I need to buy to switch to Lithium batteries , want to get better motor for more speed and longer ride time

I believe Michael @LithiumGods and myself are sold out of the popular 94ah SDI 22s modules.
I have enough cells for a couple more, but not assembled in a plug and play battery.
Depending on budget, I have some with >twice the range, but near twice the cost.

how do you “move” the limiter?

I don’t understand!

Speed limiter?

On a 2002, which should be a T2 controller, you have two options, get a “magic magnet” from @Inwo or get a programmer and change the max speed variable in the controller.

Magic magnet takes about 10seconds to install. Plugs into the tachometer output of the motor.

Programmer, has a bigger learning curve.

2 Likes

Yes the 2002 SHOULD have a T2 controller but some have the weaker T1 controller. I have such a 2002 and from what I’ve read the T1 isn’t very robust and pushing it may cause failures.

Max speed can be adjusted on the T1 also. Different parameter # than the T2. Think it has the same name though “max overspeed” I believe.

I have no experience with durability on the T1. T1 and T2 are both 300 or 350 amp. I’ve only seen that kind of load on my dash display when I send it on a launch. At 35 full send, loud pedal mashed, around 100.

These are 20 year old controllers at this point, failure rates are just going to keep increasing. I feel that pushing most off these controllers can be a risk at this point.

1 Like

yes, the spec I’d found was that the T1 is 350A/72V and if it’s just top speed being adjusted then true that it shouldn’t strain the controller much. I too have seen starting from stop and punching it at very slow speed result in the high current situations.

Unlike the Zivan chargers the GE controllers are sealed units so enviromental aging of the PCB shouldn’t be near the issue it is with the Zivans. ie they should last a long time under normal use. My T1 has worked well with stock motor and 24S lithium battery pack which provides more power through the controller than Pb batteries. Stock regen too and at 35/45MPH regen could become a stress point( guessing ).

Hi…I have AGM batteries 24 mo old $1800 installed by dealer, that are sulfated and unusable. The cart sat unused for six months, and I guess that’s what did it.Gem car is 2005 e4, stock located in Phoenix.
image|500x500
Added pic of the charger, I think. What do you suggest…I can get new sealed Duracell gr31 for 600 at Sam’s club, deep cycle non AGM

Thanks. Assembly required (Byron)help me greatly replace my motor controller but I haven’t been able to get a hold of him for a few weeks

I would just like to see the cart run!

@mlm - I’m here. I replied to your email back on 11/24. Maybe check your junk mail folder? I was wondering how you were making out.
You also have my personal cell. How is it we are we missing each other?

Just for info, you included a pic of your motor controller, not your charger.
We need to chat some more.